Magazine tube thread size for 12 gauge?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Biz, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Biz

Biz 20g

Hello everyone,
    Would anyone know the thread size of the magazine tube side that fit into the receiver. Would it be metric?
    Thank for your help
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hi Biz. I just looked at the MGW website, and through the Field Service Manual with no luck. I’m sure if you call them or Art’s they can give you the information.

What’s the problem, by the way?
  3. Biz

Biz 20g

I called Art’s Gun Shop and the gentleman that answered, said that he didn’t know. I would like to acquire a tap and die kit to rectify slightly damaged threads.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Have you tried checking the threads with a thread gauge? You may wanna call back and ask to speak to art. Most likely it was brad that answered. That’s art’s son. I have called and got the wood guy before.
    The other option I can think of without some searching would be a machine shop.
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Not sure this helps, but Model 11 is the same as 870. Those threads are 1 inch 12 pitch single lead square thread. Not sure if the auto 5 mag is the same. I don’t have a model 11.
  6. Ranger6

Something else I found. I can’t see the pic, maybe send him a pm and ask if he knows

Attached Files:

7. Biz

Biz 20g

Thank you Ranger. I checked with my gauge thread and my electronic caliper and indeed, it is 1 inch x 32 tpi. I was convinced, since it was made in Europe, that it was metric size.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  8. Ranger6

I also thought everything would be metric, but the trigger screws and the stock screw are not metric. Let me know if you find a tap and die. Would be a good to have. Probably should figure out those fine threads on the old ones too
  9. Biz

Biz 20g

Sorry for the late follow up, I was geese hunting. I found the tap and die on EBay here: https://www.ebay.ca/str/northbaycuttingtools?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
    I confirm that the early model has the same thread, furthermore, my 1904 with the suicide safety has the same thread on both side of the magazine tube. Imagine screwing the magazine cap on fine thread! No wonder the FN went to corse thread the following year, somewhere around 1904/05. Here on the pic, the top tube shows the side that screws into the receiver while the bottom tube shows the side on which the end cap screws. 68E38F3E-2F59-4B9D-B052-F7DEBE02DEB5.jpeg
  10. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Totally surprised it is not metric as well coming from Europe. I thought at first it may have been a non standard machine shop special to keep it all in house and be a “get off F N thing” in its day.
    Nice to find sanity prevailed and an off the shelf size and pitch.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Yes, taking the cap off of my 1903 takes forever. How did you remove the tube without twisting the receiver?
  12. Biz

Biz 20g

I mounted the receiver in a vice, making sure to snuggly insert a piece of wood inside it and protecting the outside with a thick piece of rubber. Then, I clamped the magazine tube with a 2"x 2" piece of walnut (obviously could be any hardwood) in which I had drilled a 1 inch hole and then sliced the piece of wood in half. The longer the piece of wood, the more leverage you have.

7B543B4C-9081-4321-A650-8A38CE6B631E.jpeg

22C5F8D9-4CB1-4D5F-8CF4-1D16DD0884FA.jpeg
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  13. Ranger6

Biz: nice set up. You can use a barrel extension also if you have one of those. I have a receiver that I bought couple weeks ago for my stock tool that had the magazine tube removed without securing it correctly, it made it out of round and the barrel would no longer go in the receiver. The guy that had it bought it thinking he could fix it. He found out that once it’s damaged it’s useless.
  14. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Good jig setup. I also machined up a precision steel mandrel to fit inside mag tube to give it that bit extra support internally where it was pinch clamped and keep it all straight. Far out the one l did was super tight and was worried about distorting the tube and receiver.
  15. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

The threaded style action spring tube can be equally as tight , awkward and challenging to get out without damaging anything if fitted by a heavy handed ape.
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Good for you, Biz. Did you learn that from Art’s video?
  17. Biz

Biz 20g

It was largely inspired from a post made on a French forum by a retired gunsmith from the FN. Can you share the link of Art’s video. May be the retired gunsmith got is idea from Art or vice versa.
    BTW, what do you think PM stand for on the serial number of my receiver picture?
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

19. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The magazine removal starts about 24 minutes in.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  20. Biz

Biz 20g

Thank Rudolph for serial number info and I really enjoyed Art’s pipe job. Better not to mess with him in a bar. I also checked the magazine tread of my pre-first war Remington Autoloading Shotgun and it is exactly the same however the magazine cap is not interchangeable.
    Rudolph31 likes this.