Lost bolt handle

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Crowman, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Crowman

Crowman Copper BB

My new Browning A5 on the second outing lost the bolt handle while shooting it, I see a lot of lubrication in the hole from the assembly line and wonder if anyone else has seen or heard of this happening? It functions fine with AA low brass shells as that is all I used so far. I "think" it will shoot if I manually overcome the missing bolt handle but opening the bolt to load/unload is no fun.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Try Browning Customer Service or Numrich Gun Parts for a replacement bolt handle...

Browning Arms Company ยท Customer service
    upload_2016-12-23_16-16-40.jpeg
    +1 800-333-3288

=================

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/
    Crowman likes this.
  3. Crowman

Crowman Copper BB

I looked at websites and the ones that listed them were out of stock. I called Browning this morning and they are back ordered with no ETA and when pressed they get a lot of requests for A5 bolt handles so there is a real problem and I requested they send me 2 and they agreed to do that. Brand new and now a crippled shotgun with a harpoon shell extractor just waiting for my fingers to spear doing a manual bolt action. Unhappy!
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Let us know how you make out when you get the bolt handles in...
  5. Crowman

Crowman Copper BB

I will update "when" I get the replacements, made in Portugal? This looks like a mirror image of when my car sat off Portugal on a ship being repaired and I even had to post a bond to cover car if repairs were never paid for.........I don't like anything associated with Portugal!!!!!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  6. Crowman

Crowman Copper BB

I finally got another new A5 bolt handle from Browning, there are NONE anywhere and Browning claims back ordered till March of 2017 at best. It doesn't fit very tight so I put Loctite on it or it would fly off. I suggest all new A5 owners do the same as if yours comes off you are in a bad spot as they are not available, you will have to cannibalize one to get a bolt handle................good luck with that.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Glad you found one...
  8. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Was this for an original Auto 5 or one of the new models?
  9. Crowman

Crowman Copper BB

This was for a brand new A5 model that on shell #17 lost the bolt handle into the unknown.......never found. Did get a new one from Browning parts in April 2017 and that was a "looong" wait. Won it from the NWTF and am unhappy with it so it sits in the safe "until"? as I don't trust it and it is a great looking full camo shotgun......BUT! Closing my postings on it today.
  10. Crowman

Crowman Copper BB

I did get a new bolt handle finally in April 2017 from Browning parts, but I don't trust the new A5 so it sits in the safe "until?" I complained until they took one off a rack gun while I waited on the parts department.
  11. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Just a tip, but I always fully strip a new gun, clean, and reassemble a new gun before the first use, and for a few reasons.
    First, the grease they use from the factory is more of a shipping grease. I prefer to strip and apply a good quality grease/lube that I know I can trust.
    Second, while it would classify as a "freak" incident, I suppose it is possible that the excessive grease combined with the cycling action, could have hydraulically pushed the handle out of the bolt. I would strip the shotgun completely, clean it, check for cracks or damage, reassemble with the correct/correct amount of lube, reassemble, then shoot the gun. Just keep an eye on the latch for the first few dozen shots. It should be fine. If you are really concerned about losing another, you could wrap a piece of orange tape around the handle to more easily spot on the ground it if it does fall out again.
    By the by, it might have been installed incorrectly from the factory. I know with my Beretta A400 Xtreme, the latch is a bugger to remove and install. You can install it where it looks, feels, and operates just like it is installed all the way, but can fall out. Just a thought.
    Good luck!
    Last edited: May 29, 2017