Looking to purchase A5 Need Help

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Mtymse63, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Mtymse63

Mtymse63 Copper BB

Hello and great forum. I have been researching and think I'm prepared to buy. I have an option on a 12g the guy claims is a 2 3/4 and 3" gun. He says it is a 50's gun and needs bluing but otherwise shoots great. I know just about all I need about handguns and rifles but limited knowledge of auto shotguns. I'm actually looking to trade a handgun for the shotgun.

My questions:
    1) how do I verify it is a 3" gun?
    1b) are 3" guns more valuable?
    2) is this then considered Magnum gun? I believe there were Standard, Light, and Magnum versions, right?
    3) how do I check to see if this has speed load function?
    4) he claims the good would be worth more if blued, but my research finds different.

Looking for a gun I can hunt with, and if it can retain value or perhaps gain value by bluing I'd be good with trade.

Thanks for your help.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Yes, the 3" Auto-5 is the Magnum. Introduced in 1958 it will have a "V" prefix to the serial number if made before 1976. The V will be preced by a single digit for the years 1958-67, and two digits for 1968-76. In 1976 the code changed to 151 for the magnum, at the beginning of the serial for guns made in Belgium and at the end for guns manufactured in Japan. The date code changed to letters. This information is available here:

http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940941/serialization-date of manufacture.pdf

In addition, the barrel should be marked 12-75 on the left side, near the chamber. 75mm=3".

The difference between the standard (coded H or M) and Light Twelve (coded L, G, or 211) is just a few ounces of weight. The Magnum is significantly different and many people report problems trying to shoot target loads from them. If you don't need to shoot 3" shells you may be better off with one of the other guns.

The big reason for the Magnum Twelve was to hunt waterfowl. The non toxic shot mandate made many of these guns obsolete, as only Japanese produced barrels are safe for steel shot, and of those, I believe only the ones equipped with Invector Chokes can handle steel. Some have their barrels sent out for "steel safe" chokes, but I don't know the details.

All Magnum versions should have Speed Load, as it was standard after 1953. But you can verify by pushing the Carrier. If it moves without pushing the release, it's equipped.

Value. If you go to Gunbroker you will see that Miroku produced guns with Invector barrels go for more than the older guns. That's because they're still useful.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  3. Mtymse63

Mtymse63 Copper BB

Awesome info Rudolph31! Exactly what I was looking for :). Thank you!
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Mtymse !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.