Locking Block Wear on an Auto-5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Wingman, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

My Auto-5 has a worn rail on the locking block and try as hard as I can I can’t source a replacement one here in the UK. I have recently bought a couple of donor Auto-5’s to strip for spares in the hope that one would provide a good part but in both cases the locking blocks were worn also. Interestingly one of the guns I bought has no track on the block at all , it was worn all away yet the owner said that it was shooting fine and the only reason for scrapping it was the stock was broken and the barrel badly pitted and he wasn’t bothered about repairing it. So I was wondering how long (and well or safely) can an Auto-5 shoot with a worn rail on the locking block? And what are the symptoms one can expect when the block is worn? I am shooting this gun every weekend and its quickly become my go to hunting gun and I want to keep it that way.

I am keen to learn from the experienced guys on this forum as information and knowledge on these guns is scarce in the UK so it helps me become self-sufficient!

Here is mine: 20160527_160729-640x360.jpg
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Unless you see cracks in the rail, I'm guessing you have many thousands of rounds left in that locking block. Even new they look a little worn.
  3. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Thanks for that I have a spare that's in a similar condition so hopefully I'll be able to hand this gun onto my son!!