Lightweight Carbine Refinishing?

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by mtnscoutn, Sep 12, 2015.

1. mtnscoutn

mtnscoutn Copper BB

Hello all, been looking around the forum for awhile and finally picked up my first Browning. I have been hunting for a BAR Lightweight Carbine for about two years now and found one in a local shop. I feel like I bought it right, but the gun has been handled ROUGHLY. No rust, but not much bluing left and the wood has seen better days. I do plan to hunt with this gun, so I have been contemplating having a friend of mine Cerakote it. I am hesitant because I know how beautiful these are blued. So, I ask what you all think. Should I Cerakote or re blue? Who do you all recommend to do a job that will look like it just came off the rack? Thanks for your input.

Mtnscoutn
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!

Myself...I would re-blue.

Post a picture or two to show the community what the condition looks like...
  3. mtnscoutn

mtnscoutn Copper BB

Thanks for the reply. Here are a few pictures. Took the photos with my phone and had to crop to get below 1 MB so the quality isn't great, but you get the idea. There are a few dings in the aluminum receiver as well. I know there aren't too many of these floating around, so I feel like you are right about bluing it.

Attached Files:

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. joe mose

joe mose .22LR

Arts gun shop is the best in the business when it comes to brownings.. look them up on line and speak with brad. Very fair and friendly you wont be disappointed with their work.
    Joe mose
    mtnscoutn likes this.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Good reference Joe...thanks !!
  6. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

I've never cared for Cerakote, so my preference would be a re-blue. It's as I said, though: preference.
    Congratulations!
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Damn shame about that stock...good luck !!
  8. mtnscoutn

mtnscoutn Copper BB

Thanks for the info on Art's. Looked at their website and rates seem very fair. I may just have them restock it too if they have some wood that won't break the bank. I think I'll use it this deer season then send it out. Thanks for the advice, I will post up some pictures when it is done.
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Sounds like a plan...