Light 12 won't fire

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Troy Fields, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Troy Fields

Troy Fields .22LR

I've done a little internet surfing already but wanted to post the question here. I took a 70's vintage A5 light 12 hunting the other day, worked fine. It was raining a little that day so when I got home, I took the forearm, rings, spring and barrel off to wipe down and let dry. Put back together and went out again this morning. Went to fire at some ducks and nothing, couldn't move the trigger. The safety goes back and forth and appears to be full travel, nothing is visible to prevent the trigger from moving. As I said earlier, I did go online and have read that the trigger made not be re-cocked. Any other offers to my issue? Thanks in advance.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Remove trigger to inspect? Clean, lube etc! You should be able to operate it when it’s out. Before you pull the trigger make sure you hold the hammer so it doesn’t fly open.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  3. Troy Fields

Troy Fields .22LR

Thanks, that's the plan. Was curious if it was common. Thanks for the reply.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

No I wouldn’t say common. You may have a pice of lead stuck in the somewhere or other trash. There are more serious things then a simple clean, but let’s get that trigger off and maybe post some pictures. Not sure how your knowledge is on removing the trigger but when you go back together make sure bolt is open. The holes will line up much easier. If you can’t get it back in, don’t freak myself or one of the other regulars can walk you through it. Remember the lock screws have to be out first. And use the correct screw driver or it will burger up the heads
    Troy Fields likes this.
  5. Ranger6

The wheels are turning. If the trigger moves and it don’t go bang then look at firing pin. Most likely broke.
    Troy Fields likes this.
  6. Troy Fields

Troy Fields .22LR

Thanks for the tips. I've had a few autoloaders and pumps apart to clean etc. just not and older A5. I did google it, (I know) but the You Tube video by "Under the Gun" on Auto 5 disassembly and reassembly was informing. I'm also waiting to take it apart until the set of Wheeler screwdrivers I ordered comes in as I do not want to mar the heads. I'll keep you posted, thanks again.
  7. Ranger6

Smart man on those videos and screw drivers. If your gonna get into the auto 5 you may wanna take a look at arts gun shop, tool section. They have screw drivers made for the auto 5. I just ordered a set, got tired of replacing the brownells bits
    Troy Fields likes this.
  8. Troy Fields

Troy Fields .22LR

Thanks, just looked at the screw drivers, will probably order those too. Will definitely watch his A5 video before starting. I've seen a bunch of Art's stuff on Guns International. I'm a big fan of Browning firearms.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

There’s a safety device that blocks the trigger when the gun is out of battery. It’s called the Safety Sear and you can see it atop the trigger in this photo.
    [​IMG] The bolt is moved forward into battery by the Link, which is pushed by the Action Spring in the stock. As it does so, it pushes the top of the safety sear forward. The bottom slips backwards off the trigger.

So, be sure the gun is in battery. Take it apart and put back together again. If it’s still frozen, you’ll have to take off the Trigger Plate.

There’s a handy .pdf for disassembly here:

https://www.shotgunworld.com/d3/images/BROWNINGA5DISASSEMBLY.pdf

And a great interactive parts diagram here:

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/browning-auto-5/link.html
    Troy Fields likes this.
  10. Troy Fields

Troy Fields .22LR

Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it.