Leather Butt Pad

Discussion in 'The Workbench: Builds And Modifications' started by Ranger6, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I haven’t posted in awhile so thought I would put my journey here with my great idea to do a leather covered but pad. The first order of business was to get the pad, I chose the pachmayr grind to fit pad. Used the J&R jig to get the pad the correct angles. Then I figured I would get my holes cut in the pad. If the holes are not correct it’s back to square one. When doing a leather pad everything has to be rounded and not even the name on the pad can be left, as it will show through the leather.
    There is a big learning curve here, so practice every step until you have it down(remember you screw up you start over).ordered 2 of everything just in case.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I roughly finished the grinding with the belt sander and will do final fit by hand right before the leather. One thing to remember is the leather is .022-.025 think so you will need to account for that during sanding. Next would be the holes in the pad for the plugs that will also be covered. One thing I ran into while drilling holes was I couldn’t hold the pad firm enough. So another special tool. Once that was done I needed a way to drill perfectly round holes in the center of the pad. I used the hole bit in the press 1/2 diameter. I also found that it’s hard to get the hole bit in the center, as my eyes played tricks on me. I used a centering tool for drill presses. Found center and then switched to the hole bit. I must say it worked like a charm. I wanted to drill both holes without moving my press table, so some careful measurements were taking before making the jig to hold the pad. Once it was good. I drilled the top hole, turned the pad end to end and drilled the other. No need to move the table. I learned that lubing the pad with Wd-40( thanks win7stw) that I grinded it with worked the best. I figured out by doing some practice that the holes came out really clean if I set the press to run at about 900 rpm. Still have plenty left to do before the leather so I will update as I get it done.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    win7stw likes this.
  3. Ranger6

As I continue to nudge forward slowly with the butt pad, seems like things(problems) keep coming. I noticed that the butt pad is not completely flat. It’s not much, but enough to affect the end result so I might as well deal with it now. Mind you I have checked the stock and it’s square and true. I have a couple of these pads and all of them seem to have a slight bit of not being perfectly flat checked with a straight edge. After some research I have come across some other people saying the same thing with the same pad and several other pads. As this is a learning process for me I’m going to attempt to make it perfectly flat. More on the process to follow.
  4. Ranger6

Wow what a difference. I was a little hesitant about this working, the results were outstanding and well worth the wait for the sanding plate. When I started researching about how to do this I came across a video of a custom Guitar maker. I don’t know anything about them but I have seen some really nice ones and the video not only was interesting, but a small segment was on this sanding plate. It’s pictured below( Amazon). It came with everything seen except the sand paper that I had for my disc sander. It has the sticky back and work excellent. The whole process took about 15 min. I can say I will never do another pad without sanding the back of the pad.

Attached Files:

Auzzie likes this.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I wish I would have know you were having issues with this. My father in law builds guitars as a hobby and he uses just a piece of glass. At work we have granite or quartz tables to do the same thing.
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    Ranger6 likes this.
  6. Ranger6

Well a little update while I’m waiting on some leather to soak in hot water. The hardest part so far was removing enough from the pad for the thickness of the leather. Win7stw gave me a great idea of using a mortise tool to scribe the pad so I could grind for the thickness of the leather. I ordered a linear scribe pictured below. Let me say the rollers suck and do not follow the edge of a butt pad. The other end worked great with some modifications. The tool would not scribe down to .025 so I beveled the edges to allow the cutter to travel down in the tool. Measured .025 and scribed the pad.

Attached Files:

7. Ranger6

I covered my stock and stretched the leather. Let it dry over night and proceeded to glue it on the pad. I used this contact cement. And you only glue the outside edge where it’s beveled. You can see how the contact cement spread once it was pulled tight.

Attached Files:

8. Ranger6

Once it’s glued on and pulled tight again, which is easy this time cause the leather already has the shape, you need to cut a pie shape in the holes where the screws are. The plugs will cover the holes but the leather has to be glued into the holes. Apply glue before putting the leather on. Word to the wise. Pay attention when cutting your pie in the holes. One slip of the razor blade and you will be where I’m at. Doing it again. I cut to long and it extended outside the hole. Looks like shit if you do this.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Very interesting project. You have way more patience than I do
  10. Ranger6

This one has special meaning( grand dad’s) so it gets 110%. I am actually surprised I made it this far. Had a big f*** tonight when I screwed the pooch with the leather.
  11. Ranger6

One thing I changed on round two was a wider rubber band. The small bands did leave small lines on the leather. I put an additional small rubber band on top of the wide one. Some notes on the leather. When you ring out the water just ball it up and squeeze it like a tennis ball. It’s not a wash cloth and the less wrinkles you have the better. Unlike the gluing you have time to fit it right and make sure there are no wrinkles in the leather on the pad. Past the pad isn’t important cause your going to trim most of it off. Now it dries over night and I will check in the AM if all looks good it will stay that way for 24 hours.

Attached Files:

Auzzie likes this.
  12. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

This has been interesting project . Looks a very classy result.
  13. Ranger6

Thank you sir, classy is what I’m after. Still have some mountains to climb but it’s coming along. I got some tips on cutting the leather from my leather guy at work. Never even thought to ask him. I sent you an email.
  14. Ranger6

Well the pad is wrapped in leather. The holes look pretty good. The leather pulling tight on the back of the pad was a chore to say the least. I need to put the purdey roll on the pad and fit the plugs in the holes. I’m not sure I like it, but will try it out tomorrow and see how it shoots.

Attached Files:

win7stw likes this.
  15. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

That’s a pretty good looking bit of wood on that sxs. Is that your grandfathers old piece you have referred too in other posts ? If so you have done it justice
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Looks excellent buddy. Job well done
  17. Ranger6

Yes sir you are correct. Sure wish it could talk. I’m sure it would have some stories.
  18. Ranger6

Thank you sir, not sure it’s gonna stay. I need to walk away for awhile and go back and go from there. I think I can do better. I have learned a bunch, and it’s not as easy as you would think. The parts that I thought would be difficult were actually not. I think the hardest part is getting the pad to fit perfect with the leather on it. It’s amazing how much the thickness of the leather changes things.
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Looks like you might need to bring a little more off the pad?
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yes or is it just the picture