Latest acquisition 16ga 4 digit serial special stock

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Jta5er, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

All numbers match but no number on stock. Gun has been converted to 70mm and is marked on barrel im guessing was factory converted and refinished at same time, possibly stock replacement then( or maybe restored). I have seen this shape stock a couple times one is on cover of S&V.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    win7stw, recoil and Rudolph31 like this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Nice Jimmy! You have done it again.
  3. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

This receiver gets cch, the trigger guard, trigger and small parts will get slow rust blue for contrast. It’s been converted and restored before so nobody freak out it’s so not original.
    One important discovery is just like all other early 16ga guns the distance from barrel extension to front of barrel loop is shorter than post ww1 16s. They have a different size forend than all others. But if it’s been converted 70mm you can use a 65mm forend. Very annoying if your like me and swap around barrels and forends.
    win7stw and Ranger6 like this.
  4. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Here are the 2 1910 barrels next to a 1925. Early ones are .24in less or shorter distance from barrel extension.
    [​IMG]
    Ranger6 likes this.
  5. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

The original barrel is 25.4 ish inches and full choke .034. Its thicker than my other barrels; over .150in thick in front of chamber, .098 in thick at barrel loop and around .060in just before choke. Receiver works with all my barrels. I think Cole can just move the barrel rings( ramp type soldered on) up to we’re others are and all will be rite in my a5 forend world. Fingers crossed. Also this gun has a broken or missing hammer spring that will be repaired, have never seen this before and I have handled lots of a5s, odd.
  6. Biz

Biz 20g

Antique auto-5 always have good and bad surprises. What is on the escutcheon, I believe this is how you call the plate on bottom of the pistol grip?
  7. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

escutcheon Looks to be horn, but I didn’t look under it yet? Good idea!
  8. Biz

Biz 20g

Is there a pattern on the escutcheon?
  9. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I pick up a wreck of an antique Auto 5 on Monday. I hope it is what I think it might be
  11. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Nothing under it but definitely horn and screw was timed perfectly, someone knew what they were doing that put it together. The original forend had cracks repaired a long time ago but after close examination I believe it can be refinished and checkered to acceptable form. So I’m not sure about the stocks origin, but should make very interesting useable piece. With this wall thickness I may have barrel opened up to .015 and shoot all types of shot through it. At muzzle barrel walls are .076in thick! I have a very stout new 16ga spring that is a bit longer than it should be, I may try it on this gun with some 1 1/8oz loads. That spring helps protect stock but I believe it will smack the forend even harder if I’m thinking straight?
  12. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Don’t laugh but I have never disassembled an a5 action. Now I did just recently buy the screwdriver set. Does the spring on the trigger guard serve the hammer cuz hammer just flopps back and forth?
  13. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Are you talking about part #19? If so that has no function for the hammer. You also have trigger and main spring. #57,75
  14. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

So which one would make hammer just flopp back and forth? It’s pinned but no tension at all just teeters on pin
  15. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Looks like 57 is spring for hammer?
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The hammer does flop around unless it’s cocked. The hammer should have a protrusion with a roller on it that will depress the mainspring when cocked.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  17. Fowlgunner

Fowlgunner .22LR

The screw closest to the trigger holds the main spring in place.

It often times is backed out by the unknowing and it is impossible to re-seat correctly without removal of the stock.

Good luck!
  18. Fowlgunner

Fowlgunner .22LR

For what it's worth.

I wager to say when you do remove the stock it will number to the gun or within a couple hundred +-.

Enquiring minds want to know.

Thanks, Will
  19. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Took the stock off earlier and found no serial number on stock but didn’t find out about spring till I had it back on. But I’m sure spring is broke or missing. Will take it apart again this week and deal with spring I already ordered a new one.
  20. Fowlgunner

Fowlgunner .22LR

May just not be seated properly and not allow proper engagement.

We can only hope.

Will