it is going to happen.......again

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by KnotRight, Feb 1, 2014.

1. KnotRight

KnotRight Copper BB

After many years absent from reloading it is time to get back into it. When I stopped reloading I was using a RCBS Jr. press with TC dies for 38/357 and 9s. All my stuff was sold maybe 15 years ago.
    I have a couple questions that would like some advice on:

1: What press would you get? RCBS, Lyman or Lee. I think that I would like a progressive press. (maybe a Dillion in the future)
    2: I am thinking that I will start off loading 45 and 9s, what brand TC dies would you use.
    3: When buying dies, would you get a 3 or 4 die set
    4: Not on planning to reload any large caliber rifles so when choosing a press should I keep that in mind
    5: Where is the best place to buy the reloading components?
    6: I have read some hand guns can use small or large caliber primers. Is the primer the same size?
    7: what reloading manual would you suggest starting out with
    8: Backing the day I used to use Bulleye. Unique, 2700, Green and Blue Dot powder. If you were just reloading “target/practice” rounds, is there a single powder that I can use for 45 and 9s?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. If you here a BIG boom for Savannah, you know I screwed up something.
  2. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Staff Member Administrator

I moved this post here to this new section.
    Cheers!!
  3. Norske

Norske .410

I have an RCBS Rockchucker press and a really old Lyman turret press. Since I inspect my rounds after every reloading step, the Rockchucker is adequate. the old turret press is only used for seating bullets for my most reloaded calibers. Remember, there is no after-stage inspection with a progressive. If you perform each step on 50 or 100 cases at a time, progressive machines don't speed things up much.
    I'm liking Lee handgun dies for their "finishing" die that removes any bulge in a straight case after the bullets are seated. I think that's a 4-die set. I'll recommend the Lyman reloading manual with manuals for the bullet brands you are using. Powder charges from powder makers is usually available on-line.
    Small primers are for small diameter cases and small powder charges, often being more consistant than large primers. The only handgun cartridge I'm aware of that can be found with small and large primers is 45ACP. Some match ammo is loaded with small primers, large pistol primers is the norm.
    Bullseye and Unique are both commonly used in 9mm and 45ACP. I'd pick Unique because double charges are more evident when you look into a loading block of charged cases as an inspection step. If you are going to use a powder measure, WW231 ball powder meters very well, as does AA5 from Western Powders.
    Buy your case/bullet/powder supplies wherever it's on sale. I still buy most primers locally at a store whose prices are commonly as low as internet sellers.
  4. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Buy a bunch of manuals---you will soon see there is a noticeable difference in what the various manufacturers consider minimum and maximum loads!
    You will also notice there are several powders that can be used for 9mm and .45 ACP.

Take your time. Pay attention to detail. Any more, the brand of dies for most reloading doesn't really matter. They are all at the very least---really good. If you are going to get into the precision aspect---there are dies specifically for that too. "Walk before you run" kind of thing.

Keep things clean and tidy. Your bench, press and components.
  5. Norske

Norske .410

Some of the differences are due to different primers used by the editors of that manual, some due to differences in resistance of the bullet against the barrel. That's why more than one reference is needed. For example, Western Powders uses Federal primers in most of their handgun loads, Winchester in most of their rifle loads. Their powders are double-base and are a bit hard to ignite with milder primers. (I know from a hang fire in my 45-70!) Speer is part of the same conglomerate as CCI and Alliant, guess which primers they usually use.
    I have a pricey computer reloading program (Quickload) that will predict higher peak pressures with mono-metal or partitioned bullets in my rifle loads. Since it's predicted muzzle velocity is very close to my chronograph readings, its predictions are close.
  6. gnappi

gnappi .22LR

I guess, I'm over trained? My reloading library I keep in the house :)

reload_bench2_r.jpg
    KyBoB likes this.