Issues with recoil rings

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Budzo100, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Budzo100

Budzo100 .410

Hello group, So I was out shooting today. And I found that the light loads of the rounds that I bought at the Sporting clays range, didn't cycle thru my gun all that well. So, my question is: What can I do??? I found that the oil I used, Hoppes 9, seemed like it was getting gummy on the magazine tube. So, another question, What oil do you guys use??

And, I was keeping the extra rings down on the bottom of the tube, so that they were always with me. And wouldn't get lost. But once i took them out, the gun seemed to cycle better. But, that leaves the possibility of loosing the extra rings, and I Don't want to do that.

Of course there is buying ammo that has more snort in the powder. But, if I go to this range regularly, this is the ammo that I purchased there.

I know I can purchase Kent ammo, and they have a better ffps, for sporting clay rounds. But, like I say, what can I do?

So what are some of your recommendations please???

Thanks
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

My guns are ammo sensitive, they like Federal and Remington, but don't like Winchester (at least the cheap Universals), Herter's or Estate. The good news is that the rounds they do like are inexpensive. With some ammo, I think it's the length of the shell causing the problems. Sometimes it's a broken extractor -- usually the left one and you've got to look close to check it.

For the guns that don't get shot very often, I use a little grease on the magazine tube so it stays put. But if it's shot regularly I'll put a few drops of 30 weight motor oil there, just like JMB intended. They are then stored muzzle down. At the range I'll spray some Rem Oil on it, or get a little off my car's dipstick.

I don't like the idea of removing the friction ring from its storage place. You will lose a loose ring!
    [​IMG]
    Budzo100 and SHOOTER13 like this.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Hoppe's #9 is more of an cleaner / copper removal agent...

Use something that says oil...even 3 in 1 is better than the above.

Rem Oil is what I use...CLP is too.

Also...as far as the cheap shells...you get what you pay for.

Estate, Kent, Herter's are cheap fodder...step up the quality and your game by spending a little more.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Last week I bought Remington Gun Clubs at Dick's for $4.95 per box. A bargain but also a PITA because they have to scan each box. But they reliably cycle my Auto-5's.

Shooter -- about a week ago I discovered that Hoppe's calls both their bore cleaner and their oil #9. I don't know why but I was disappointed.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Hey Rudolph....

Yea, I know. I use Remington Gun Club when on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods...and I run Estate OO Buck all day long in my Mossberg M590a1 and M500 for practice and self defense.

The Estate was $79.99 for a case of 250 from Midway USA last year...so I stocked up and bought 8 cases over a few months.

I like the Rem Oil, Break Free CLP and a dab of Tetra Gun Grease on most of my firearms...and the Hoppe's #9 I only use to remove copper fouling...and though they DO make a lubricating oil, I've used it only once as it came supplied in a cleaning kit long since used up.
  6. Budzo100

Budzo100 .410

Very Helpful fellas. Thank you. I was using Hoppes #9 oil on it, but I found it kinda gummed up. So I was thinking something lighter. I do have some Rem Oil, as well as some of that Remington spray. But so far, I'm not impressed with the spray. I'll keep trying different combinations and let you guys know what works for me.

As far as the shells. I shoot a hotter Kent brand when I'm shooting for myself, and trying to obtain the Benjamins from my friends.
    But I also shoot at that same range when we are taking clients out, and they have an all inclusive style of group shoot. So the ammo I was using yesterday, was this same ammo that I bought from there. Very cheap. so maybe the bottom line is, I just don't take that particular A5. And just use it for geese and ducks with hotter loads.

Now, one more issue. I found that the spot where the magazine plug is located, has been broken out or removed. Is this a tough item to replace??? How do I replace it, does it just un-thread??

Thanks guys for all the help
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  8. Budzo100

Budzo100 .410

It doesn't look like that, I looks like plastic, and the center has been broken out.

At present, my gun does not have a plug, and I'd like to install one before I take it out hunting. I can get in big trouble with out the plug in. But, the spot where I access the plug, at the end of the mag tube, looks like that past owner has broken it out. I'm just not sure how to replace it.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The newer guns had plastic retainers and the plug was pushed through on top. I don't know if they're available but the old style will work. Put the plug inside the magazine spring and then the retainer. You'll need an old style plug but a dowel will do. On one of my guns I found a twig in there.

A tip for inserting the retainer. Put it on a long, thin screwdriver, thread the screwdriver into the mag spring, push everything into the mag and tap the handle with a hammer. To remove, hook the retainer on the rim of the nail that sticks out of your workbench.
    Budzo100 and SHOOTER13 like this.
  10. Budzo100

Budzo100 .410

Well Rudy31. I have some shopping to do, I'm going to find either a proper Browning plug, or a small dowel. Then I'm coming home and do some gunsmithing. Thank you very much for all your help. I will follow your directions, and let you know how I did. TTYL
    Rudolph31 likes this.