Inherited A-5, need a bit of guidance

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by James Vallery, Oct 12, 2016.

1. James Vallery

James Vallery Copper BB

Hello all,

My names is James Vallery, from Louisiana. Some time ago, a family member passed away and left a Browning A-5 to my son. At the time he was not borne, and he is 10 years old now and taking an active interest in his inheritance.

I researched as much as I could, and I hoped to defer to the vast knowledge of the good people in this forum. I have also posted pictures for reference.

What I have learned, is that with a serial number of 107226 this gun was manufactured circa 1930 in Belgium by FN. I can find no other detailed record, as it seems that many of the early A-5 records are lost to us.

Of course, I would like to know the relative value for pure knowledge sake, but my main question is of another nature.

My father-in-law firmly believes that this is a "Sweet 16." I have not been able to find concrete, specific information thus far, and since I disagrees with him based upon my limited knowledge from online research, was hoping that some of you may be able to answer this quandry for me.

I do appreciate any feedback. We have no intention of selling the gun, we just want to know as much as we can.

Thank you in advance,
    [​IMG]
    James Vallery, CCT-Paramedic
    Acadiance Ambulance, Ground Ops Central LA., Unit 413 B/N
    Scaldedchevy@yahoo.com
    337-375-4049

IMG_4991.JPG IMG_4992.JPG IMG_4998.JPG IMG_4993.JPG IMG_4996.JPG IMG_5002.JPG IMG_5001.JPG IMG_4997.JPG
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello James, and welcome.

A common mistake is to apply 12 gauge serial numbers to a 16 gauge gun. Another is to try to make sense of the Browning website. This is the best reference I know of:

http://www.nramuseum.org/media/940941/serialization-date of manufacture.pdf

And according to it, your Auto-5 was made in 1937. That year, the specially lightened version of the 16 gauge went into production and Browning called it the Sweet Sixteen. The guns were identified by gold plating on the triggers and safeties. Looking at yours, it's possible those parts were once gold colored. The positive way to tell is to look for lightening cuts inside the receiver. (I don't have a handy picture but if you look around this forum enough you'll find some.). There should also be lightening holes in the barrel ring. Early Sweets had 5, but later they settled on 3 holes.

[​IMG]

Last, as a pre-war 16 your shotgun was chambered for 2 9/16" shells. After the war the 2 3/4" length became standard and many Auto-5's were converted. The easiest ways to tell is to look at the ejector, if it's movable, it is safe to shoot standard 16 gauge ammunition.
    James Vallery and SHOOTER13 like this.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome o the Browning Owners Forum James !!

Enjoy our community...
    James Vallery likes this.
  4. James Vallery

James Vallery Copper BB

Thank you, Shooter
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. James Vallery

James Vallery Copper BB

Thank you Rudolph. I am going to check those things out this evening.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

7. James Vallery

James Vallery Copper BB

Thanks guys....So, I took a look at the barrel ring. The ring does not have any weight reduction holes. However, the serial numbers do match. There are three weight reduction holes in the receiver. One on the side plate, and one on either side of the loading breach under the receiver. Rudolph, what do you think this means for this gun? Was it a very early model of the "Sweet?" Did FN continue to make standard models in 1937 as well as the "Sweets?" I included some photos.

Thanks!
    IMG_5010.JPG IMG_5011.JPG IMG_5012.JPG IMG_5014.JPG IMG_5013.JPG IMG_5008.JPG IMG_5009.JPG
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The standard 16 was made along side the Sweet Sixteen until the mid 60's. I can't see inside your receiver, but the lightening holes in the barrel ring were a feature from the very beginning. As I stated, the very first Sweets had 5 holes, like the one pictured.

Are you sure the cuts you see in your receiver match the pictures posted by Txrick55?
  9. James Vallery

James Vallery Copper BB

Ahhhh, I see. I missed the "mill cuts" beforehand. No sir, this one has no mill cuts. I was only referring to the small holes in the receiver. I though that was what you were talking about. So, this makes this one a standard weight A-5, manufactured in 1937 by FN in Belgium, correct?
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

All correct. You still have to determine if it's been converted to shoot 2 3/4" shells.