I looked at one yesterday.

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Bill Idaho, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

A local ad, allegedly an "A5, Sweet Sixteen". Not much additional information, and it was pretty close. So I get there, it's a middle aged guy, in a crappy neighborhood. (I frequented that area when I drove around in a shiny car with lights on top!!!!)
    Sure enough, it is a Browning A5, marked Sweet Sixteen on the passenger side of the receiver. According to the serial number and a quick glance at the bible I brought with me, a 1967. NO gold trigger, and a front slider safety. Hmmmmm.... Several screw heads were butchered, almost beyond use. The magazine tube cap nut was so tight it wouldn't budge.
    A screw-in choke of some sort, with a 27" (or so) barrel, with no rib. Butt stock was aftermarket (and cracked) , front wood was Remington Model 11, "adjusted" (and I am being very kind) to fit. Bluing was about 80%.

Since things weren't quite in order, I asked how much. He replied "Since it's so old and all original, $900".

I immediately looked around the room and said "Where's the other one?"
    "What other one? This is the only one"
    "Oh, for that much money, I thought it was for two. Sorry."

I handed it back to him, and left without saying another word.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I feel your pain buddy. The same thing happens here, but you know there is a sucker born every second, so........
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

$900? I’d have asked for a thousand — to take it away!
  4. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Sounds like somebody who is used to running from a shiny car with lights on top !
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Shit they don’t run here, it’s a slap on the wrist and out on bond to do it all again