How to disassemble your Browning Maxus

Discussion in 'Browning Maxus Shotgun' started by Billythekid, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Below is a step by step instruction on how to Disassemble your Browning Maxus.

Tools:
    1. Small Punch
    2. Rubber hammer

[​IMG]

1. Lock the Bolt rearward by pulling the operating handle fully to the rear.

[​IMG]

Note: Never allow the action to slam closed by pressing the bolt release button without the barrel installed. if the bolt is releared forward with the barrel removed, the operating handle will strike the receiver and cause damage.

2. Remove forearm by pressing down on release button on the bottom front of the forearm.

[​IMG]

Note: Do not squeeze hard on the open rear end of a wood forearm. Too much pressure could cause the wood to split.

3. Remove the Barrel and gas system by sliding them forward and off the magazine tube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. While holding the operating handle, press the bolt release button and slowing allowing the bolt to move forward.

[​IMG]

5. Once bolt release is forward, remove operating handle from bolt. You will need to pull firmly on the operating handle to pul it out.

[​IMG]

6. Hold the bolt release button down and pull the bolt assembly out.

[​IMG]

7. With a small punch, gently knock out the two pins located on either side of the receiver. Trigger pins can be removed from either side of the receiver. Grasp the trigger guard and pull it up and out of the receiver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To assemble just follow steps 7 to 1.
  2. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Old post here, but thank you. It's the same steps in the book, but with color photos.

Such an easy gun to take down and clean. Just need to get mine dirty!
  3. dowstough

dowstough Copper BB

I appreciate the wonderful post by Billythekid, very helpful. Class act all the way.
    Dow
  4. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Is there any trick to getting the bolt handle out? I've removed the barrel and trigger group but cannot for the life of me get that operating handle out. Feels like it's locked in somehow.

[​IMG]
  5. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Never mind! I grabbed it a different way (up & down, as in your photo) and wiggled it up and down while pulling and it came right out. Grabbing "side to side" and wiggling side to side won't work.

Thanks for the pics, that photo lead me to success!
  6. Billythekid

Hey Dallas, yea its a little tricky at first time taking it out but once you figure out how it wiggles out its pretty easy after that. Glad you were able to figure it out. let me know if you have any other questions. All the best.

BTK
  7. boots_down!

boots_down! Copper BB

Anyone else having trouble removing the screws in the butt stock? I have cranked on them but I am afraid of stripping them out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
  8. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

I have not yet removed mine, and plan to wait until needed... hopefully never!

Maybe you just need to grab the recoil pad and pull a bit to get it loose, after the screws are loose.

[​IMG]

On my Browning Twentyweight the screws came loose but I had to pull on the pad pretty hard to get it loose.
  9. Billythekid

Hey Sergio, i never looked to see if i can take the forend irons of my maxus. looking at the parts diagram it looks like it should come out though. Let me know if this helps.

[​IMG]