How much would you spend on completely restored a5?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Ranger6, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

What is the price limit for a piece of history?
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Well, I thought my limit was $800. That’s what I paid for this 1948 “Stealth” Sixteen.
    [​IMG]

But the checkering was worn flat, so I took it to Art’s and they recut the checkering and refinished the stock. So I guess the answer is $1200.

That’s the “before” picture, by the way.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Nice. How about some after pic? May be in the market for sweet sixteen or another light 12
  4. Ranger6

You know art says that investing in A5’s is like money in the bank. I tend to agree.
  5. Ranger6

If I ever get this standard 12 fixed its going to art to be done. Maybe I should just send it now, but I guess there is a sense of pride in figuring it out. Grand dad always said if you can’t fix it, you shouldn’t own it.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Here are before and after pictures to see Art’s work:

[​IMG]

It’s much nicer now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 16, 2018
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

By the way, it’s not completely restored. Art’s did the stock, and some jeweler friends of mine did the trigger and safety:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as I know, the rest is original.
  8. Ranger6

I’m in love. Totally beautiful.