Hi Power Alloy Frame

Discussion in 'Browning Hi Power Handgun' started by In The Ten Ring, Apr 1, 2017.

1. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Isn't Speer Gold Dot widely used by police agencies?

Gold Dot 135 grain +P is my J-frame carry ammo.

I used to carry a Kahr P9 Covert loaded with PMC 124 grain +P Starfire (may have also been called the "Elderado") JHP until I saw a Youtube video in which those did not expand at all. :eek: Now I have Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P for that pistol.

I use Speer Gold Dot 230 grain +P in my S&W 1911 PC and Kahr P45.......I'm something of a "Gold Dot Man." :cool:

So you use a Gold Dot standard pressure in your LW HP?

(NJ has the highest rate of carjackings, last time I read those stats. I know the state did have a ban on hollowpoints, it may still have).

Do you remember the Federal EFMJ? (Expanding full metal jacket). I have something like 250 of those still, but the load is discontinued so I am hanging onto what I have.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  2. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

Well, you sound like you've known the answer all along ;). I'm also a fan of the GD...even use it as loaded by Underwood in 9mm+P+ AND my EDC 357Sig...BUT, NOT in my BHP LWs ;):).

I do remember the EFMJ, got a very good friend who retired from USBP and speak highly of 'em in .40...in his preferred BHPs.

NJ HP law is...at best questionable. The way I understand it is that average guys can own 'em but shouldn't use 'em in a shooting that might in any way shape or form be construed as questionable...by some POS progressive County Prosecutor. Under LEOSA, such ammunition restrictions have been made null and void...BUT, enter that POS progressive County Prosecutor ;).
  3. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

No, I cannot say I have "known the answer all along" as I was not thinking of standard pressure Gold Dot at all.

A friend tested EFMJ into wet magazine paper, the results were impressive. He didn't do gel tests though. I read that EFMJ was not a constant performer in real life and Federal discontinued them.

For me, I stay out of anti-freedom states and only cross such when necessary---even then I go by the Firearms Owner Protection Act and I do not stop.

Yes, it's amazing, but there are prosecutors that carry guns themselves and yet, will do all they can to hang anyone else for doing so. The hypocrisy is disgusting.
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  4. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

Uhmmmmmm, OK then Buddy :confused:, I meant that with you being a self professed "something of a "Gold Dot Man.", you were on the right track and would have arrived there sooner of later ;):).

Back in the '70s, there wasn't much in the way of ballistic gel for the LE hobbyist ;)...I used thoroughly water soaked magazines bound together with twine to "test" o_O early HPs...such as Super Vel :eek:, myself. One would end up with the most beautifully well formed "mushroomed" show and tell pieces...which didn't in any way correlate to HPs recovered at autopsy :(. Not a HP, but an administration attempt to placate the hue and cry over the abject failures of our issued 158 RNL, we finally adopted a S&W brand 158 SP. It actually deformed a bit in the soaking wet magazine stacks, BUT failed to deform in the slightest when recovered at the scene...after having passed right through the perps. My USBP Buddy currently lives in the far (rural) NW of the PRNJ following retirement and is stuck with the PRNJ interpretation of LEOSA, so his choices were/are limited :oops:.

Yep, hypocrisy at it's worst :mad:.....
  5. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Oh don't get me wrong brother, I'm not mad, offended, or otherwise "bent out of shape" over the compliment, I just had not thought of GD standard pressure. In fact, and I was thinking of this last night, I've been rather conditioned to think that one needs +P to get a hollowpoint to expand at all.

Oh yes! My friend used to do testing on all sorts of hollowpoints in wet magazines and every single one expanded perfectly each and every time. The EFMJ was the coolest and seemed like just the thing for me and my love for old handgun designs and proper feeding.

I know even the best performing hollowpoint tested in gel may not expand at all.

With such limitations, does your retired friend carry a .45? As I read online somewhere "your 9mm hollowpoints may not expand but my .45 slugs sure won't contract." :) I think Jeff Cooper was OK with FMJ in .45.
  6. sub-moa

sub-moa .410

Kool :D. I'm a fan of "fast" so I've pretty much gravitated towards +P...even +P+ when it actually outperforms +P, which isn't always the case ;). BUT, there really has been a dramatic improvement in performance of ALL kinds of newly...scientifically, developed ammunition so I'm not near as picky as I used to be. Truth be told though, my ammunition choices DO have some old fashioned residual prejudices o_O;):). When travelling up north for work during the colder months, I still carry one of my P45s...or even my PM45, loaded with Pow'RBall 165+P :cool:.

My USBP Buddy occasionally carries one of his several 1911 .45s in place of one of his several BHP .40s :D:cool:...IIRC, he's still got enough EFMJ in .45 for the near time ;). I've extolled the virtues of the Pow'RBall 165+P to him...but he was already aware as he used Pow'RBall in his .40s already.
  7. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

Update to this thread: I found another LW HP 35 and that will make 3. A bit excessive perhaps but like hording silver, it's hard to go wrong over time.

I also ordered a Crimson Trace laser grip and have found that my Mitch Rosen Kahr P45 thumb break holster holds the HP very well.

I plan to carry a steel HP soon and send off the worst-looking of the three LW's for some custom work later on.

I will order some samples of Critical Duty and Speer Gold Dot standard pressure ammo for testing soon also.