Help with first year A-5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by vacreeper, Jun 18, 2020.

1. vacreeper

vacreeper Copper BB

Hello, I am bring sent a first year A-5 that will need a lot of help. First of all the bluing on the receiver is very worn. Assuming that it was rust blued, who is the best person to restore the finish? Worst of all is the buttstock. The comb has been cut down for a shooter with a dominate left eye so there is not much left. Now I have a correct plain european blank but who can inlet it correctly? And you are right, when finished it will probably not be worth what I will have in it but there is family history. Thanks for any help.
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Arts Gun Shop is the place you are looking for. He specializes in Auto 5’s. He should be able to make a stock for you as well
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Sorry I missed the part about bluing. Arts will do slow rust bluing but he usually does hot bluing I think. If you want the slow rust bluing I’d recommend Glenrock Blue in Glenrock WY
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Art’s is without question the best place to send an Auto-5 for repair. But you should discuss with them exactly what you want done.

Your first year gun uses parts that became obsolete over 100 years ago. If the locking block, for example, needs replacing, a modern replacement would require a new breech block and barrel extension. If you want to keep it original, it’s best to tell them that up front. Of course, it may not be possible to obtain original parts. That’s the reason I rarely fire my own 1903 Auto-5. Everything works, and I want to keep it that way.

Art’s rust blues Superposed barrels out of necessity, everything else is salt blued. An internet friend talked them into rust bluing a 1909 16 gauge and he was disappointed with the results. I didn’t see the gun so I can’t judge. But it’s not their specialty.

Here’s the link to Art’s:

https://artsgunshop.com/

Give them a call, you’ll enjoy the chat. Good luck with your first year gun and welcome to the site!
  5. vacreeper

vacreeper Copper BB

Thanks for all the help. It looks like Art is the guy I need.
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Vacrerper- are you having him rust blue? If so post some pictures when you get it back please.
  7. vacreeper

vacreeper Copper BB

Well yes and no. I have a smith that does a superb rust blue. My problem is that I do not know the proper level of polish to have before starting the process. My initial thought would be to have Art polish it correctly and then have the smith blue it. This of course can lead to much finger pointing if not carefully supervised. So at this point I am undecided. While I have seen the shotgun, I do not have it in my posession as yet so I have some time to do some research. I will move carefully. I have restored a 1937 superposed in the past but this A-5 is a completely different animal.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

How pitted is this gun? The nice thing about Arts is he has a guy that can recut the engraving and lettering if it gets washed out by buffing or filing. Maybe your smith can do it too. I will be interested to see what way you go. They definitely look better with a rust blue
  9. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

If your guy is good I would stick with him. May wanna call and talk to old south restoration in TN. They do the old school rust blue. Guy that owns the joint it a really nice guy. I have seen pictures of a gun that was rust blued by art. Not the correct color.