Help me learn more about my Browning 20 gauge

Discussion in 'Photo And Video Gallery' started by jwc12377, Mar 19, 2020.

1. jwc12377

jwc12377 Copper BB

In the early 60's, my dad paid a guy
    $40.00 for what I always thought was a Browning 20ga semi-auto. Just a couple of days ago, I began trying to find out more about the gun. I had no idea that Browning never actually manufactured guns. I contacted Art Isaacson of Art's Guns and Sport, Inc. (artsgunshop.com) in Hillsboro, Missouri. He emailed me and said the gun is an American Browning that was made by Remington during the WWII years; 1940-46. Mr. Issacson told me the gun is actually more of a Remington than a Browning. When I first started researching the gun I discovered all of what I know and that's been in the last few days.

But I wanted to reach out to you guys as well to see if anyone else knows much about the gun.

There are several stamps on the barrel. Would anyone have any idea about the meaning of the stamps?

Attached Files:

2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Art is the expert. Also, as you’ve no doubt found out, a hell of a nice guy.

All Belgian and the later Japanese Brownings, along with Remington Model 11’s, had the serial number on the bottom of the receiver just in front of the loading port. The lone exception is the Remington produced Browning. These had the serial number on the left side of the receiver, along with a letter prefix denoting the gauge. A for 16, B for 12, and C for 20.

It’s interesting that they produced a 20, as FN didn’t until 1958. John Browning felt that the only reason to use a smaller gauge was to carry a lighter gun. Since he couldn’t make a 20 gauge version appreciably lighter than the 16, he gave up the idea.

As for the other markings on your gun, you should go to a Remington source. I think the code on the barrel is the production date. And I believe the reference line on the barrel and extension is called the Nock’s Form. But here I’m not much help.