HELP! How do I remove a magazine plug?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by In The Ten Ring, Apr 4, 2016.

1. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

My absolutely gorgeous Auto 5 in 20 gauge will only take 2 rounds into the magazine tube. I assume there must be a plug in there. How do I remove the plug?

(My shotgun is a circa 1971 model) It even has the purple tinted barrel.

Suggestions?

I want to take it shooting next week to test it out for squirrel season next fall.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

You've got to remove the magazine spring retainer. The easiest way is to hook it on the head of a nail and yank. This tip is from Art's disassembly video, a must watch for Auto-5 owners.

The following is from me: When you put it back, slide the shank of a screwdriver in the tube to hold everything together and tap the handle with a hammer.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  3. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

What? No video link? What am I paying you for?

Oh that's right, I'm not paying. :confused: I found it. Thanks. :) Well, no, it doesn't seem to show that. :(
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I thought about posting the link, and if you were a FNG I would have. But a veteran like you has probably been to Art's website a bunch of times.

Doesn't seem to show what?
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

I could not find the Art's video that showed the plug being removed. Thanks for not considering me to be a Freaking New Guy, but my good looks and incredible posting abilities may mask my overall inexperience. :cool:
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Go here:
    http://artsgunshop.com

Then Videos, select Browning A5 Disassembly. Unfortunately, Art spends the first 10 minutes on making screwdrivers. Interesting, but I bought mine from Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...gna-tip-bits/magna-tip-thin-bits-prod425.aspx

And later a better set from MGW.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/gunsmithing-screwdrivers/HG-5

The part about driving a nail into the workbench and using the head to hook the retainer on comes about 23 minutes into the video.

There's a lot of good information there.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thanks for the help Rudolph !!
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

My pleasure, Shooter. I spent an enjoyable hour this morning re-watching those videos. They were the first resource I found when I knew nothing about my new-to-me 1947 Auto-5. Of all the videos I've found since, I like Art's the best.

[​IMG]
  9. In The Ten Ring

In The Ten Ring .270 WIN

That is a real beauty there! You have some tiger stripe in the forearm and the "Garand-style" safety. Have you found those to be any easier to use compared to the later safety buttons?

OK! I just got finished watching the video from the right time point (thanks again for that) concerning the magazine plug. Art's plug seems to come right out but mine does not. I do seem to have a "ring" in there but it's plastic. Does that have to come out with the nail before I can get to the plug?

Is my plug at the bottom of the magazine instead of at the top as in Art's video?
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

There are 2 kinds of plugs, the wooden kind that's used with a steel spring retainer, and the plastic kind that's used with the plastic retainer. The plastic plug goes in on top of the plastic retainer, the wooden plug is inserted first. Either way, the retainer is just yanked out.