Grandaddy's Browning 16 gauge

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by setzer77, Apr 3, 2015.

1. setzer77

setzer77 Copper BB

My grandfather who is rapidly approaching 80 just gave me a couple long guns, one of which is a 16 gauge Auto 5 in 16 gauge. S/N suggests 1929 build date. The receiver screws are spotless, and match the s/n on the bolt and receiver. The barrel seems to be a different number entirely, and I'm fairly sure it's not been converted otherwise. I know for a fact it's been used with 2 3/4" shells for a long time. I also suspect it's never actually been disassembled for a proper cleaning.

Condition wise it's in rather great condition with a couple minor issues. First issue is that someone has removed, or attempted to remove the stock at some point, as the stock screws are a bit rough. There is also a crack on the right side of the stock, it's not major, but I'd like to repair it if possible at some point. I plan on getting a proper screwdriver set to give a proper cleaning, and possibly do a little stock repair if it's simple and worthwhile. I'm thinking a dab of wood glue and a light vice clamp ought to do it. I'm completely unconcerned about value, as it will never leave my possession, unless it's handed down again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thoughts? Advice?

The thing points and handles so beautifully, I can see why it was so copied and produced for so many years. A masterpiece of design and production through and through.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I like my 16's also. I don't shoot them as much as I'd like because it slows the group down searching for my shells. If you shoot a 16 much, you'll be a reloader too.

I'm guessing your barrel was swapped out when the gun was converted from 2 9/16" (65mm) to 2 3/4" (70mm). The 16-70 in the oval shows the barrel is 2 3/4". There's a lot more to the conversion than that, however. The fore arm needs modification for the longer recoil stroke of the barrel. Yours looks to be swapped also--you can check the serial number to see. The ejection port has to be made bigger, the ejectors movable, etc. This thread covers the subject throughly:
    http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=79647

I have an early Sweet Sixteen that's supposedly 2 3/4" but it continually jams with Herter's ammo. It runs fine on Remington Game Loads though. A fired Remington measures 67mm, the Herters 70mm. The problem is probably in the fore end but I'm happy to feed it what it likes. So don't get discouraged if your gun doesn't eat everything.
    [​IMG]
  3. setzer77

setzer77 Copper BB

Thanks very much for the timely reply. I had hoped to get detailed answers by posting here, and I'm not disappointed. I'd seen that article before when doing research, but after handling the shotgun a bit more, it makes more sense.

Near as I can tell, it's been converted, and properly at that. The ejector moves, the forward portion of the receiver seems to be proper, etc. I assumed it came from the factory like that, so whoever did it, did it right.

As far as cost/availability of ammo, I'm not super concerned. I'm going to take it out for some clay hunting, but with the cost of any kind of ammo, I'll never wear the gun out. On the flipside, it's not a safe queen.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum setzer77 !!

Very nice acquisition !!
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

A couple years ago Cabela's had a big sale on Herter's ammo, and I bought about 20 cases of it in 16 gauge. I was a little disappointed when they wouldn't feed. Fortunately, they feed fine in my "Shooter Sixteen". The moral is don't spend a ton of money on ammo until you're sure it'll work in your gun.
    [​IMG]
  6. setzer77

setzer77 Copper BB

I looked at the local wallyworld yesterday to see about 16 gauge ammo, unsurprisingly there wasn't a single box. What did irritate me is that they had a couple boxes of 28 gauge.....really, 28 gauge? Is that even worth considering a shotgun at that point?

On another note, regarding the small crack on the right side of my stock, is that something I can give a couple dabs of wood glue and a light vice, or is that wood really brittle and thin? I'm not looking to restore the thing, I just don't want it getting worse with use.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

28 is a lot more popular than 16, at least as far as clay games go. Cabela's usually has premium hunting ammo in stock--at about $16/box. But you can usually order the Herter's online from them. For RGL's I order from Brownells, Midway, or Natchez. I started reloading to ensure I'd always have ammo, but now powder is more scarce than factory 16 gauge shells.

EDIT:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...GNU&WTz_l=undefined;cat104691780;cat104567580
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

9. setzer77

setzer77 Copper BB

Thanks for the links. The stuff isn't super cheap or easy to find, but a range trip won't break the bank, either. I just can't forsee going through more than a couple boxes in a range session, especially if I want to bring something else along. Fortunately clays are as cheap as....well....dirt.

Great forum, really appreciate the support and advice.
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Not a problem...glad to help !!
  11. hudson

hudson .410

You can reinforce the stock by laying some fiberglass down on the inside

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk