Got an unfired Light 12 Auto 5, 1977 and don't know what to do with it

Discussion in 'New Member Welcome Area' started by Steve Garrison, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Steve Garrison

Steve Garrison Copper BB

Looking for more info and advice on this shotgun. Where should I post this? Also - fired expert on the BAR at Ft. Dix in 1962. Also carried the heavy devil in squad training - probably because I was big, fit and a little stupid. Loved that "whump whump whump" sound. Anybody got one they want to give me?

BROWNING AUTO FIVE SHOTGUN

My father was Maj. Gen. Howard G Garrison who ended his 42 year military career in command of the 42nd division in New York City. He was also an airborne Ranger and served with Merrill’s marauders and the Mars task force in the China Burma India theater during World War II.

Upon his retirement from the National Guard in 1978, there was an elaborate retirement ceremony where individual units under his command in the division presented him with their retirement gifts. There were dress swords mounted on plaques; numerous plaques extolling his virtues as a commander and one in particular that I have had since his passing in 2007.

This Browning light 12 shotgun to the best of my knowledge has never been fired. My dad was not a bird hunter or a trap shooter and he kept it on the wall and for a number of years I have kept it in my gun safe. I’ve thought about shooting it but never done so. Other than very minimal scratches probably caused by storage with other weapons, it is absolutely pristine.

01260 RR211 - 211 indicates “light 12” and RR indicates manufactured during 1977. The 01260 is the serial number of the shotguns manufactured in that year. Surprising to me was that it was manufactured in Japan.

There is extensive and intricate factory engraving. All of the wooden furniture is highly polished and seems to be without damage. On the side of the barrel is the legend “special steel 12gauge shells 2 ¾” – 28.

I have a middling size firearms collection – some mine and some came to me upon his passing. I doubt there is anyone in my family who will take an interest in firearms so I am considering disposition of this retirement gift. It would be nice if I could sell it to someone or some organization that would be interested in it as an unfired shotgun with “history”.

The reason I am writing this synopsis is that I was watching an episode of “Gun Stories” and it happened to be on the auto five. So I decided to do this research and documentation so that the history of this piece would not be lost or forgotten (I’m about to be 76 years old).

I hope this is interesting to the members of this forum and I would be very interested in all input as to what I might do with this unfired and interesting shotgun.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Hello and Welcome.

That’s a very interesting story. You should repost it in the Auto-5 forum on this site. (Just copy and paste.) There are a lot of enthusiasts who might miss it otherwise.
  3. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Southwest Idaho says Hi!!! There are those that believe guns are made to be fired/used, and will tell you to just take it out and shoot it. I can see their logic. It would be tough to wear it out. There are also those that would advise (in this particular case) to NOT shoot it, put it in a nice presentation case, and enjoy it. After all, every time you held it, you would be looking at your father and his accomplishments. I can respect that thought process as well. Trust me on that one!!!!
    When my father died, I was left with scores upon scores of guns. (For any youngins' reading this, a "score" is an old fashioned way of referring to the number 20, FYI. ) Most of his guns had been shot, but a few were unfired. As an example, he left me an unfired Winchester Model 94, made in 1930. Like new. Did I mention unfired. That gun will never be shot by me, and all of my kids have been forewarned as well.

Personally, in this case, I would not shoot it. I would put it in a safe place, and enjoy it as the gift it was presented to your father as. Nobody really knows if the people that bought it wanted him to actually shoot it, but for sure they intended for it to at the very least be a gift, a token of honor. Maybe have a plaque made with the story behind it?! In a nice presentation case? Is there a local VFW/Legion or military museum nearby? You might consider that route too.

My very humble two cents.
  4. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Staff Member Administrator

:welcome:

Howdy, welcome to the club.
    Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.
    Please, feel free to chime in on any conversation, anywhere...
    Cheers!
    :cheers: