Glass for my XBolt

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by John O, Nov 24, 2014.

1. John O

John O Copper BB

Picked up my new xbolt in 6.5x55 swede last week.(my favorite cal) looking for a scope and thinking about a 2-7. Any suggestions. image.jpg
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

3. John O

John O Copper BB

I have a VX II 3x9 sitting on my Sauer 202. May use that, untill I find a 2x7.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Not a bad choice my friend...
  5. J.L. Latham

J.L. Latham .22LR

Late to the party, but thought I could toss in a recommendation that someone might find useful some day. I just picked up the X-Bolt in the Stainless Stalker, 6.5mm Creedmoor. I went with this combination
    Scope: Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50 low profile scope (with the Windplex reticle)
    Bases: Leupold Browning X-Bolt Matte 65416
    Rings: Leupold 1-inch Medium Matte 49901
    This setup places the centerline of the scope almost exactly at the often referred to height above bore of 1.5 inches. I managed to find the scope (MSRP $1064) for $589 and it's worth it for sure. With the new Hornady 143grain precision hunter round, the rifle should be good for both target and hunting. Right now shooting the Winchester 140 grain match round through it and getting sub MOA groups at 100 yards but I've only put 24 rounds through the barrel at this point.

Some might think the 4.5-14 a little big for hunting, but I also target shoot. With the -3L scope, it's still a compact rig and the scope only adds about 1 pound to the rifle and the 50mm lens does gather light well.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum JL !!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2016
  7. J.L. Latham

J.L. Latham .22LR

A little update on my Leupold VX-3L on my X-Bolt: I don't think they're available anymore (not on the Leupold site) - but no matter because while I think it's a great scope, good clear glass and return to zero is excellent I have found one drawback to using the rifle under other than hunting situations such as running through a box or two of ammo for target shooting -- because it sits so low to the barrel, it really picks up mirage from a hot barrel easily. This can make it pretty much useless at any range until the barrel cools down (or you put a towel over the barrel or something). But for hunting, it seems just fine. I'm actually thinking about swapping it out and trying a Burris Eliminator III on the rifle, everything I've read and even one owner of one that works at a range I shoot at has nothing but good things to say about it -- ranging and basically a custom BCD scope regardless of cartridge all in one package. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one, and I won't get rid of the Leupold until the Burris proves itself. Be sure to look at Vortex offerings also - I've got 2 of their scopes and both are top-of-the-line quality for the money I paid; nothing but good things to say about either of them. You might look at the Vortex Viper PST 2-10x44 depending on your budget. Downside to that one, just from reading its specs is 2nd focal plane and no parallax adjustment - set at 100 yards - I see it for around $425 on-line at places like Optics Planet.
  8. I have two x-bolts 7mm-08 and a 308 ,have Vortex Diamondback 3x9x40 on the 7mm-08 and leupold 3x9x40 vari 1 on 308.Both are very good scopes,really like leupold but the vortex is just as good and same warranty.
  9. I put a Leupold VX-R 3x9x40 on my custom stocked Winchester Model 70 Grey Wolf Rifle. It is in the Firedot Model. It is so good on that custom Boyd Black Laminate stocked Ultimate Shadow .243 stainless barrel and action, now I want one on an X Bolt. Every notice the downloaded Browning and Winchester Rifle images are the best on the entire Internet? For instance try to download a Kimber rifle image. It is not a sharp image. But the right scope on the right rifle is an amazingly appropriate tool to a to a great rifle. Since the scopes I see mentioned here are outdated and no longer available, know this, the one I list is current, and frankly not inexpensive. Once GREAT thing an X Bolt. The ONLY rifle I know you could set up to transfer scopes from X Bolt to X Bolt without requiring a whole lot of ring lapping, rezeroing, etc. Makes The X Bolt mounting system easily one of the best anywhere. Meanwhile.....rifle manufactures are pushing entry level rifles to save a few dollars and scopes with glass that will look pretty low class some day.