FN Belgium vs. Miroku Japan

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by Idahoan, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Idahoan

Idahoan Copper BB

Hi,
    The prevailing wisdom is that the Belgian models are more desirable than their Japanese-made counterparts. Indeed, we see them trade with a modest premium. As to why, I can come up with five possible explanations.

1) Excepting the prototypes made at TRW Ohio, the first production line models were first made in Belgium. So earlier is better. 2) Owing to the shorter life of production, fewer Belgian BLRs were mass produced. Lower supply, higher price, all else equal. 3) Especially with those of us 50+, "Made in Japan" of the post-War era evoked feelings similar to Made in China today. The implication is that quality must have ratcheted down with the move to Japan. 4) The mirror image of #3 taps into America's deep seated ex-colonial inferiority complex: that everything from Mother Europe must be the best. Hence, Belgians are better because they are Belgian. Finally there is (5), that there are measurable and quantifiable advantages of Belgian vs. Japanese workmanship found in the barrel, action, receiver, wood, finishes, etc. The idea then would be that the premium is warranted due to superior quality.

The premium arising from (1)-(4) derive either from intangibles that exist between our ears and within our hearts or from the marketplace. My question is on (5). I am wondering whether anyone out there has seen or conducted any scientific analysis on the quality of production of BLRs from these two production facilities for the steel receiver BLRs (pre-81). Quality of steel; Quality of steel machining; Tolerances; Fitting; Quality control; Bench testing; etc.

I can see the the results coming out either way. The 1970s were a strange time in terms of engineering quality. Global competition and outsourcing, plus new materials produced a lot of innovation but a lot of junk as well. Today, Japan has regained its pre-War reputation for fine steel and manufacturing. And Belgium's reputation and partnership with John Browning remains intact. But between 1969-1980?

I am hoping to move the conversation away from the anecdotes, gut feelings, and fanboy cheerleading prevalent online to something more scientific.

Thanks for indulging me,
    Idahoan
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thank you for your input on the subject...
  3. cavmedic

cavmedic Guest

I would say nostalgia also plays a part. Many peoples dads were owners of steel receiver blr's and they shot their first deer with it. I must have read similar stories like that everywhere during my research of the BLR. Most of those nostalgic people are in that "collector" age and can pay top dollar for nostalgia. They could be driving the price up too.