FN A5 compared to Browning A5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by antman73, Oct 17, 2020.

1. antman73

antman73 .410

I think I read somewhere that the two guns were the same less the Browning stamp. I tried searching it out on the forum but didn't find any info. A local shop has an FN A5 for sale that I'm interested in. I know FN made both guns but again not sure if Browning restricted them from getting to close. Thanks for any help.
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

According to the book the receiver markings changed around 1934 from Fabrique Nationale to Browning Arms Company St Louis MO
    antman73 likes this.
  4. antman73

antman73 .410

Thank you for the info. I ordered the book as well. New around here but I've enjoyed your posts.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks, the other gents around here have forgot more than I know when it comes to the Auto 5
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

You will enjoy the book.

As for your World Market gun, it depends on when it was made. Prior to 1948 they had different receiver addresses, but that year receiver addresses were discontinued on all of the guns. The bust of JMB, a feature on imports since at least 1934, was added to WM receivers in 1948 also. On Browning imports, engraving was standard, but it was extra for the rest of the world.

So probably the only differences you’ll notice are the lack of engraving and the words ACIER SPECIAL instead of SPECIAL STEEL on the barrel.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    antman73 likes this.
  7. antman73

antman73 .410

To update this post I did buy the gun. I was pleasantly suprised to find out it was indeed a Browning Auto 5. From what I've found out it is somewhere betwen a 1925 and 29 depending on where you get the info. All numbers matching. 29 A5 ser#.JPG
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

It’s a 1925. Congrats on the new toy. Let’s see some more pictures
    Rudolph31 and antman73 like this.
  9. antman73

antman73 .410

I'm going to work on getting better at pictures but the darker wood is the new gun and the lighter wood is my 64 Light 12. A5's side b side.jpg 29 A5 receivers.jpg The 25 might be a grade II. A bit more engraving then my 64.
    Rudolph31 and win7stw like this.
  10. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Very nice. Congrats.
    antman73 likes this.
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Nice gun. Can we see the left side? That engraving interests me
  12. antman73

antman73 .410

13. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Antman:
    That just looks horrible. I think you should send it to me, wouldn’t want you to have to suffer through shooting it.
    antman73 likes this.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Very nice Antman. I believe it’s a Grade II. Nice find
  15. antman73

antman73 .410

Thanks for the nice words you guys. I haven't bought a shotgun for a while and because of the things I've learned here I knew I should give this a look. Sorry about the picture sizes. Either to small or to big but I will get it right. I haven't taken it apart yet but by the condition of the parts I can see I don't expect any surprises. Will post more pictures at some point. Again thanks for the info.
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

If you don’t mind me asking what did you pay for that beauty
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Very nice Grade II. Although just one step up from the field grade gun, they’re rare because Browning stopped offering them and instead made the simplified version of that engraving pattern, that your ‘64 has, standard. Most dealers won’t know the difference. And congratulations to you for noticing.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  18. antman73

antman73 .410

When I looked it over and saw it was a Browning with the old style safety I gave them the $500 they were asking. Also feel like I found a place I like doing business with.
  19. Ranger6

Hell of a deal
    Rudolph31 and antman73 like this.
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Ranger is right. That was a steal. I have yet to see an Auto 5 at a gun store here for under 900
    antman73 likes this.