First Year A5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Gus, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Gus

Gus .22LR

Greetings,

New to the forum!

Picked up a first year A5 a week ago for less than $100. Have broke her down and photographed what I have. Saw that there was some interest on documenting early A5s so thought I would share. Very early serial number. She has a broken rail on the locking block and the breech block is damaged as well. I will post photos of the internals if there is interest.[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. Gus

Gus .22LR

[​IMG]
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Gus !!

Enjoy our community...
  4. Gus

Gus .22LR

[​IMG]
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  5. Gus

Gus .22LR

[​IMG]
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  6. Gus

Gus .22LR

[​IMG]
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  7. Gus

Gus .22LR

[​IMG]You can see the damage to the left rail groove. Note the triangular cocking handle.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  8. Gus

Gus .22LR

Some rust but no bad pitting[​IMG]
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  9. Gus

Gus .22LR

Little more rust on the left side, FN banner and Browning patent dates.[​IMG]
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  10. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

With my limited knowledge that makes your gun a 1920's model! Amazing find and well done for picking her up and bringing this classic back. Lovely gun thanks for sharing.
  11. Gus

Gus .22LR

According to the serial number it was built in 1903. Serial number range 1 - 4121.
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Congratulations on your first year Auto-5. Too bad about the Locking Block, as far as I know those early parts are unavailable. But, since the first guns had rails on both sides of the block, and later guns only one, I'd bet it's still safe to shoot the occasional target load.
  13. Gus

Gus .22LR

Have a line on a four digit complete dual rail bolt with locking block, hope it comes through!
  14. Gus

Gus .22LR

Looks like the trigger may have been replaced at some time. Believe the 1903 model had a strait one.[​IMG]
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

[​IMG] You're right, here's a 1903 trigger group.
  16. XDMBOB

XDMBOB .270 WIN

Wow! Great thread, love the old guns! Thanks for sharing!
  17. Gus

Gus .22LR

What is interesting is it appears just the trigger was replaced, the housing is serial numbered to the gun.
  18. Gus

Gus .22LR

[​IMG] Fore stock has the finger groove all the way through. Although this is an early one (started this type in 1909) it is not correct for a first year gun. Should have a finger stop.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  19. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Forearms and Butt Plates are the rarest parts of these guns. The rest last practically forever.
  20. Gus

Gus .22LR

[​IMG] Double thin rail locking block