First outing with .223 BLR

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by mnh2obuff, Jan 6, 2016.

1. mnh2obuff

mnh2obuff Copper BB

Took my rifle to the local in door range to sight-in. It took 30 rounds to finally get zeroed at 50 yards. The scope was slow to respond to adjustments. The groups were all tight at each adjustment point so that is good. If we get decent weather next week here in California I see what it does at 100 yards in my outdoor range and post results. I did have a couple of issues. A few rounds did not fire on the first attempt. One of those did not fire after several shots. I'll try that in my Ruger 5.56 GSR next week. About 3 times the trigger did not reset after working the lever. I don't know if that is something with the rifle or a case of me not working the action briskly enough. It could be just a matter of breaking in. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

I always clean and lube all new firearms...and yes, work the lever with authority...it can take it !!
  3. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

I agree that it can take it.

So long as the bolt carrier is moving backwards far enough to completely cock/reset the hammer, the trigger is reset merely by closing the lever all the way. So, check to make certain you're getting the lever fully closed against the stock.

Failures to fire when the hammer is fully cocked and apparently operating normally is often due to 'gunk' in the bolt & carrier slowing down the firing pin. This goes along well with Shooter13's admonition to clean thoroughly.
  4. mnh2obuff

mnh2obuff Copper BB

Thanks. I clean the mechanism as thoroughly as I can and will see if that helps and be sure to work the lever completely. Everything seemed to work fine when I dry fire.
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Good...let us know how it works when you hit the range...!!