First go at roll crimps

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by win7stw, May 24, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I shot my first batch of ugly roll crimps last night. They cycled the gun but the hulls are toast. The other batch that looked good cycled the gun and it’s unreal how good the hulls look
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    Ranger6 likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Agree. I thought damn another bullshit thing from ballistic products. But it works very well.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have 300 paper Cheddite hulls coming. I wonder how the Gaep will work on those
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I love those paper Cheddites. But after as little as two loadings I start getting head separations. Fortunately the paper tube stays in the chamber causing a jam instead of a barrel blockage. So far.

I’m all out of them, not bothering to pick them up the last time out. Fire them twice, and toss.
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

You lucky dog. I haven’t found any yet. I even contacted cheddite Italy, but haven’t heard from them. Not sure how that crimper will work on paper. They make one for paper from what I understand. It’s different then the one you have.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

What was your load in them?
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’ll try the turd BPI crimper if the Gaep doesn’t work. If not I’ll trim and fold crimp
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

SG16 wad. 20 grains of BP. 1 ounce of #8 shot. Overshot card and Hartin crimp.

By the way, I can’t predict which shells will fail by looking at them. They look good, then they come apart. Someone advised me to just load paper hulls once, but I think I’m safe at twice.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  9. Ranger6

Win7- ok your turn to be guinea pig on these paper hulls. How about some loaded with green dot or universal? I emailed a guy that shoots paper all the time, hopefully, he will share some data. I will share if so.
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I will use Green Dot. It’s almost impossible to find the clays line of powders here
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  11. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

This has been a good read. It’s funny I’d never heard of a roll crimp before I started reading on this site and now I feel like I want to try it. I don’t have a drill press but I have a reloader on the way. Used to reload for 12g way back, almost 40 years ago, with a really simple single stage press bought on an 18yo’s budget. It’s long gone but being replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Get prepared to be frustrated. I think you should try it. It’s really rewarding once you get the hang of it. The best advice I can give you is buy a Gaep crimper. You can find a cheap bench mount drill press
  13. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

That’s the plan. I’m starting from scratch. Have a couple books coming from BP. The 16g one and the Cheddite one. Once those get here the next phase will be looking up loads and getting supplies. I’ve tried to join the 16g Society but I’m in limbo waiting for my membership to get approved. That’s been cooking since 11/20. Was also thinking about joining that Low Pressure group over there but I can’t post to contact anyone. It’ll all come together eventually I’m sure.

14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

15. Ranger6

Rcatastrophe- you should of asked. I have both of the BP manuals. You may be disappointed. I’m on both 16 gauge and low pressure group. Both guys that head up the new guy stuff have full time jobs and don’t visit real often. Russ( low pressure) usually pretty fast. If you want to look around on either site send me a text at (832) 909-9904. I can give you my password.
    One exception for BP manuals. Their small bore manual has the only 1 oz 28 ga loads I can find.
    And just so you know some of their info is over pressure. Just use common sense, but you will be much better served with the sites win7 suggested
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  16. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Beautiful thanks for all the resources. I kinda figured the books wouldn’t be my best solution, I’d read some negative comments but was dying to get something to read as I wait for my press to get here. I’ll check out the links and I’ll send that text at some point. I’ll save your number so if you end up editing that post I’ve got it.

17. Ranger6

No problem sir, I can also email you some information if you want certain powder, hull load data. My number has been the same for a very long time, unless I start getting knocks on my door it will stay the same.