First go at roll crimps

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by win7stw, May 24, 2020.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I have some that are close to your crimp depth. I’ll be the Ginny Pig. I’m gonna shoot them tomorrow. We will see what happens
  2. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Ok thanks. I’ll try it again tomorrow
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Ranger I tried your method and still can’t get a decent shell. I am about ready to switch to fold crimps.

I might take the motor off my drill press and put a 3 phase motor with a VFD on it so I can really slow it down. I think my speed is way to fast
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

How fast you spinning? I’m at 480rpm. I shot the roll crimps with 17.5 grains of green dot about hour ago. Couldn’t do any pattern work as to many shooters. Didn’t notice any real difference in recoil with crimp depths at .095 or .065. Don’t think it matters. Next is to pattern some, then I’m gonna send them to be tested.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Slowest mine goes is 650 RPM. It ends up twisting the top of the hull and they turn into a mess no matter how I do it. Hand drill has been the best
  6. Ranger6

Ok here’s what I got at over 800 rpm. Not sure if it helps but...... have you checked the runout on your press?

Attached Files:

7. Ranger6

Maybe this is the key

Attached Files:

8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

That might be the issue. I’m just holding it with my hands for now. I will finish my vice at work tomorrow. It might be runout on my press too, it’s a cheap Craftsman. I might sneak some shells into work and try it on a good press
  9. Ranger6

Might be worth a try. If you get your vise done and get the same results with your press at work, then your still putting to much pressure. I tried one just now with more pressure and it cut the top of the shell. If you look inside your crimper you will see some sharp cuts in the bottom. So if you apply to much pressure you bypass(so to speak) the roll portion and go to sharp edges which cuts the top of the shell. That last shell I load to about 1/16 on top of shot card.
    win7stw likes this.
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

You need to video the process and send it to me
  11. Ranger6

Send me your email and I will tomorrow eve.
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well I think I got it figured out. I think what was giving me issues was my stack height. I cut a shell down to 62mm and tried it and they look pretty good. I also am using the BPI hull vise which is a game changer. I also completely reworked my drill press. I can go down to about 10 RPM with the Variable Frequency Drive and 3 phase motor.

[​IMG]
    Ranger6 and Rudolph31 like this.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I also put a dab of Vaseline on the case mouth. Crimp depth of .065
  14. Ranger6

You got it buddy. Don’t think you need to turn any slower the 600-800 rpm. Your stack height was likely the problem. You can add a maxi card under shot or just add a little more shot. I’ve done both and fired them and no difference with 17.5 gains of green dot.
    win7stw likes this.
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

You have a link for the maxi cards?
  16. Ranger6

Ballistic products is where I got them. 32 gauge fits perfect in the bottom of the shot cup of the SG-16 wad.
  17. Ranger6

Guess you like that hull vise. I agree it’s a game changer for sure. Nice that it works so well.
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

will order some tomorrow. I don’t think it hurts to have them a couple mm short though.
  19. Ranger6

Nah I don’t think so either.
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I wasn’t impressed when I took it out of the box because it seems cheap. However it works very well