First go at roll crimps

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by win7stw, May 24, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks again for all the info on this roll crimping adventure. Charles is sending my crimper tomorrow. My secretary sucks too. My bench is currently a disaster.

That gun sounds sweet. I can’t wait to see pictures of it. I love long barrels but that wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me. Now you need to get into loading brass shells for that
    Ranger6 likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Damn it. You did it again. Well I guess I will be blaming you again. I have pondered it, the magtec ones are a decent price. There is another company RMC or something like that that makes to order. I’ve heard they are the ones to get. Like 90 for 25.
    That means another reloader.
    You will enjoy your crimper from Charles. Can’t wait to see your results.
    win7stw likes this.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I love helping other people spend their money. I’ve always wanted to load the brass shells but it doesn’t seem right doing it in anything other than a SxS. I don’t have the desire for one of those yet......
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Thanks for helping me with that spending thing. This will be my third one. I have a 12 LC Smith. It’s a dream to shoot. Very different then an o/u or a repeater. It has a single trigger. The one on the way has double triggers. Been many years since I shot one like that. I have a Stevens 285 in 16 at home(ohio), but never seem to have time to go get it.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Gaep should be here tomorrow. Can’t wait
    Ranger6 likes this.
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

These like brass shells too (not that I’ve fed it any).

[​IMG]
    Ranger6 likes this.
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Oh my tell me about that bad boy. Does the bayonet help with the follow through?
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

You would think it would, but no, it shoots better without it.

Everybody wants to try it, and it gets a lot of strange looks. My guess is they’re just not used to seeing pump guns at the range.
  9. Ranger6

Rudolph I seriously doubt its the pump aspect. Pretty cool looking. I would want to give it a try also
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Is that an original Winchester 1897 trench gun?
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

No, it’s a cheap Chinese copy. But it is fun.
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It doesn’t say Norinco, but who knows?
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

So I received the Gaep yesterday. I can’t get the hang of it. I think my press is running too fast.
    I did one with my cordless drill but I couldn’t finish it. So I finished it on the drill press with the BPI crimper and it turned out great. It’s the shell on the left

[​IMG]
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Crimp depth is .095
  16. Ranger6

Win7 your going to fast and putting to much pressure with the gaep. Let it heat up the plastic with no pressure, then very light pressure. The cut on the top of the shell is to much force and your rushing the crimp.
  17. Ranger6

The left looks good. To raise the crimp depth your gonna have to add a card in the bottom of the cup and or more shot. It takes a little practice. Patience grasshopper.
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

How long do you think it takes you to crimp a shell?
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Is it necessary to raise my crimp depth
  20. Ranger6

The proper depth according to Tom who test lots of shells says .060-.065. I have never tested the crimp depth on roll crimps to see difference. I would guess more pressure. I would ask mark(msm2019) over on 16 gauge forums. He use to do a lot of test also.
    I would says 20 sec and 10 of that is letting plastic heat up. I spin at 480 rpm.