First Browning Automatic Rifle: Safari MKII Boss

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by psient, Dec 30, 2011.

1. psient

psient .22LR

Hi all:

I'm new to the forum. One thing I note is that this must be a new board if the number of topics is any indication.

I'm a retired college professor in California. My interests are primarily machining metal, gardening on my 5 acre ranch, understanding psychological processes, pipe smoking, house construction/carpentry, baking bread and pastry, computers, and neuroscience/neuropsychology.

I recently became interested in hunting feral hogs after participating in a post on tractorbynet concerning self protection against the animals. I've been toying with the idea of getting a Safari MkII in .30/06 with a BOSS system.

What is your opinion about this topic? What year rifle will ensure that I have a good one? Anyone have something like this for sale or know of one?

Hope you are all enjoying this holiday season.

Thanks and good luck,

Dr. J :D
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hey Dr. J,
    Welcome to the Browning Owner's Forum. I hope to make a trip down to texas this summer to do some hog hunting.
    As far as the Browning safari MKII, many argue that it is the best gun Browning makes, both with its craftmanship and design. One of the great features about the BAR series is the reduction in recoil compared to most bolt action rifles, the BOSS system helps to further improve this for the BAR. from my understanding anyting produced from 1993 to present would be the only models reffered to as the Browning Safari. Browning did come out with two other models in 2004 but are called BAR longtrac and Shortrac. So as long as you go with a 1993 or newer Browning Safari you should be fine. I am not certain when the BOSS system was introduced but i can check for you. hope this helps.
  3. psient

psient .22LR

Hi Billy:

I had a question regarding how to PM you. The reason was an issue with my profile and its settings.

I put out a message on another thread as my use name 'psient' but when I received the notification and went to my inbox I had a cryptic message that read 'deleted by author before it was sent'

If you could explain that'd be great.

Aren't the older BARs different than the newer ones in terms of machining, materials and finish?

thanks,

Dr. J
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum !!