First BAR... A Hog Stalker

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by kdub23, Jan 22, 2015.

1. kdub23

kdub23 Copper BB

Hi everyone, new member.

I own a couple of Brownings: the first is an X-bolt Hunter in 30-06, the second is a BAR ShortTrac Hog Stalker. It's in the mail now.

I can't wait to get my hands on it. I bought a Leupold VX-R 2-7X33 to put on it (for the nighttime hog hunting). I'm waiting until I get both pieces together to figure out what rings I want.

Any recommendations on what to use with the split Picatinny rail? Looks like it would be hard to use an integral unit with this setup.

Thanks!
  2. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

Post pics!
    Congrats
  3. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Congratulations!
    Any Weaver-type or picatinny rings will work fine on those bases. I have used both some Weaver Tacticals and some Burris Signature Zees on mine.

I've considered trying to buy the 1-piece Picarinny rail from the FN side of the house that fits the FNAR. It will fit, though one might have to grind a bit on the part that bolts to the barrel (on the barrel on the FNAR, that is. We don't have that hole on our barrels).
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum kdub23 !!
  5. kdub23

kdub23 Copper BB

Alright, sorry for the delay...

I have my gun setup and have already killed a good hog with it. I went with the Leupold PRW rings in 30mm Low. Here's the entire setup:

IMG_1589.jpg

-Leupold VX-R 2-7X33
    -The Claw sling
    -Sniper Hawg light

For ammunition, I decided to go with Hornady's 165gr Full Boar ammo. The only problem is that gun apparently doesn't like them. Slung bullets everywhere. I shot through a whole entire box without a clue what was going on. I went to Walmart and they only had one other kind of .308 ammo in stock so I got them. They were Winchester 150gr Power Max Bonded hollow points. So whatever.

Well, they shot amazingly good. I killed that hog with them, and one would easily confuse the tennis ball size entrance wound as the exit wound. Hog just wilted.

I pretty happy with the gun, but unsure if I'll keep it due to it's weight (12-1/2# fully outfitted with the light).

Any ideas on why the ShortTrac hated those Hornady's?
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Not a clue...always had good luck with Hornady ammunition.
  7. kdub23

kdub23 Copper BB

Hmmmm.... Also noticed a pretty good dent or crimp in the neck of the brass. More of a dent in the Hornady brass than the Win brass. I read somewhere else that a dent in the neck like that is common for BARs. Is that true?
  8. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

A pic would help us help you, but if what I _think_ you're asking about is correct, then yes, that dent is common in most/all autoloaders. You can adjust the gas system on the(se) BAR(s), and in doing so you can change whether or how much of a dent your brass receives during case ejection.

Now, that said, many (most?) owners may not have a sufficiently thorough understanding of the system to be messing with the gas block. If you adjust it too far one way, your empties won't eject; you'll basically have a manually-operated single-shot. If you adjust it too far the other way, you may cause significant damage by having way too much gas in the system, battering the rifle and various of its parts.
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

^^...this is true...^^
  10. kdub23

kdub23 Copper BB

Thanks guys!
  11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Not a problem...glad we can help !