Factories vs Reloads in comp

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Auzzie, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Story
    The other day due to component being unobtainable my Son and I decided to raid our winnings pile stash and break open a slab of 1250 FPS Eurotrash target loads for a skeet comp day. Would be 5 yrs since either of us had used a factory as we are strictly reload guys.
    Well neither of us could hit crap and batting well below normal. Things just didn’t feel right for either of us. We both decided to retire the factories and use our reloads again
    Hey Presto instant gratification we were back to normal hitting as nothing had happened..
    Has anybody experienced similar when changing ammo and up velocities.?
    Others I have asked have said yes
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

yes sir. I like you and the son prefer reloads over factory. My quality control is much better. I have been seeing some pretty ugly stuff coming from the Remington (Vista) factory here lately. I also try to keep my reloads fps pretty consistent, and I always pattern my reloads as part of the CC process. If you reload enough, you will build a certain level of confidence in your reloads. Now for some it will make no difference, as the ammo is way better then they will ever shoot, and some of the reloads that I have been seeing on some of the other forums would be in the ugly duckling box under the bench. It's like anything else if you are willing to spend the time to make sure your stack height is correct( components) and the adjustments are correct on your machine, you will make factory looking crimps. Here lately I have been saving my components and shooting federal factory loads. I can buy them still for about what it cost me to reload a box. I am of the opinion that the smaller the gauge the more it matters, as far as consistency when reloading.
  3. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

That’s an interesting answer and makes lot of sense. Like you I have reloaded forever and am fussy with QC and pattern etc. People look at you as if Mad but if your looking to control recoil and have consistency then reloading gets you that..
    Somebody also offered up that burn rate of different powders in factories effects the smooth action and upsets established reactions your used too. Makes sense

My slant on the story is that when we make a move a certain way body mechanics wise our body and mind gets wired to accepting certain reactions and senses that connect us to our visual focus side and like a three leg chair you shorten one leg length slightly you can still sit and use but doesn’t feel right and unbalanced.
    If your a good reloader and especially if you load for autos in the competition arena you have to have total faith , quality control and confidence in what your using otherwise it messes with your head when it matters.
    I learned and won’t make that mistake again. A top flighter who shoots with me reckons takes him a slab to get used to any change and why he buys by the pallet to make sure he has his favourite. OK if you can afford and have the room.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

This is why I send loads out also. I have a current 410 load that came off alliant web site for the federal hulls, it is supposed to be about 1230-1250 fps. All drops were weighed on a scale and loaded by hand. These were fired several time hulls, so I cut a portion off the 6-fold and roll crimped. I shot a few before sending them out as I usually do and patterned them. The pattern was lacking a bit. On the skeet field I was way behind on the first couple, and I thought to myself, damn am I losing it here? Well, I had a funny feeling that it was the reloads and not my old a** slowing down. I sent them off to be tested and sure enough they came back at 700 fps. I'm not sure if the old wads had anything to do with them being so slow but doubt it. The roll for sure had something to do with it but should be able to get acceptable reloads with a roll crimp. I have noticed with the federal hulls that after about the 3rd reload it pretty much removes all the old factory crimp and expands the hull. When I checked the hull volume with some #9 it does not seem to make any great difference compared to a once fired hull. While that's not a real accurate of a measurement it was close enough for this.
  5. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

That’s an interesting tale. Used to load bit 410 for my kid when he was little and first starting out. That’s why we have a 375 C with the 410 head. It was always a headache as there was never any wads available or choices of powder and we were always stuck with using others picked up wads and only one powder which was AR2205 . That is an ADI rifle powder and they only had 1 gazette load for it in 410 so pretty limited results. I never thought it performed well at all. Pattern was crap but it went bang.
    We put up with it but made learning and gaining confidence darn hard work. I would never put 410 in a kids hands again for starting off cold.
    Kids need results and instant gratification to keep them hooked. 410 is the fastest confidence destroyer known to man. It takes a special talent and skill . I tip my hat to you......
    A 28 g would have been way better optionbut just plain non existent these parts and components just as hard to source.
    What I can offer is that the used wads provided you checked and graded them carefully never differed much in velosity as you would think. Worn shells what made the most difference. That fits your above scenario.
    Is Federal solid plastic base wad or coiled cardboard like a euro 410?
  6. Ranger6

Yes sir they are the fiber base wad. I have dibbled a bit with pressure and new hulls vs fired hulls. There is a difference. I think I will send some once fired hulls out with the same load, just to compare. I think you may be on to something. These federal hulls are not my first choice, but right now I am lucky to have a good supply, and I can’t bring myself to throw them away. Who knows when we will see the Winchester AA’s again.