Does anyone know...

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Bugly, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Bugly

Bugly Copper BB

First of all if this is not the correct place for this please let me know where it should be...

I have had this A5 for probably the past two years. I happened to pick it up from a woman who was selling off her late husbands collection. I have been trying to identify its manufacture year and anything else I could find out about it but have been stuck on the serial number. I am including a pic of the serial number from the bottom of the receiver forward of the loading port and of the serial under the tang (I believe that is what its called). The serial number is R18771 and it doesn't seem to match up with any of the Browning serial number schemes.

Thanks,
    Bugly IMG_0262.JPG sssssssssssss C1314CC1-8048-42FA-BF5D-AC1029BC5C80v3.jpg
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

SHOOTER13 likes this.
  3. Bugly

Bugly Copper BB

Thank you very much... wonder why Browning doesn't have this info?
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Good question. The "Date Your Browning" page is all about the 12 gauge, and even there it's full of errors and contradictions. For example, it says that Remington produced the Auto-5 from 1940-46. Then, while showing serial numbers from 1947-51 it says that FN resumed production in 1952. The truth is that FN was back and shipping guns in 1946.

I tell people not to go to that page, use the NRA site instead. If you're really interested in the Auto-5 you should get this book:

https://www.fnbrowning.com/browning-auto-5-shotguns

It will clear up many mysteries. Enjoy your 16!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.