DIY Homemade Wooden gun Rack for Under $25

Discussion in 'Product Review' started by Billythekid, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Wanted to Share with you a little project i did over the weekend. Was looking for a gun rack to hold some of the shotguns i own but everything i saw in the store/online was over 100 for decent quality and anything under was not very sturdy. So i decided to build my own. below is the list of items needed and the steps i took to put it together.

Tools Needed:
    Screwdriver/screw gun
    3in Hole saw
    1/8 drill bit (used to pre-tap screw holes so i wouldnt get any cracking when putting it together)
    circular saw (can use another source for cutting if you like)

Materials Needed:

1- 36x1x10
    3- 36x1x8
    1- 36x1x2
    4- 1x4 L brackets
    screws

the wood i purchased at homedepot at was under $20 and the L brackets and screws were another $5. Now you can lengthen/shorten the dimensions to fit your needs. the above dimensions made a gun rack that holds 8 and was 3ft tall.

steps:

1. in the center of one of the 36x1x8 piece of wood measure out and mark every 4 inches.

2. taking the 3in hole saw, at each 4 inch mark drill each hole.

3. take the circular saw and cut straight down the middle. (now you will only be using one side of the piece of wood, so you can get a smaller piece if you like but it was the easier for me to cut 1x8 in half and price wasnt really any different for a smaller piece)

4. taking the other two 36x1x8, lay the drilled piece on top. mark off the overhang on the 2 36x1x8.

5. Next i took a straight edge and made a slant from the mark to the bottom corner of the piece of wood.

6. take the circular saw and cut each piece, resulting in 2 pieces with a slant.

7. now you will begin to put together everything, take each slanted piece and line it up with the top (the hole saw piece) pre drill 2 holes on each side. screw each side together.

8. take the assembled top and sides, place on the 36x1x10 piece (place on the edge to allow for maximum angle). Pre-drill 2 holes on each side once again and screw each side

9. now you should have a standing structure, the final step is to add the L brackets to the back of the stand. Again pre-drill the holes and screw in. this will add stiffness to the overall structure.

10. the final touch is adding the 1x2 piece of wood to the front of the stand to create a lip for the gun to rest on.

below is the final result and put some wood finish on it to give it some character.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and an example of how guns measure up to 3ft sides.

[​IMG]
  2. DHonovich

DHonovich Founder Staff Member Administrator

Nicely done! I am glad you made time to build one for me too.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Well done Billy !!