Different BAR's

Discussion in 'Browning BAR Rifle' started by Jerrdogg, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Jerrdogg

Jerrdogg Copper BB

New guy so please bear with my dumb questions.

Always had A-Bolts ,and BPS's never a BAR ,so I am learning before I plunk down and hard eared cash. I'm looking for an older BAR They seem to have a better fit for me ,then the short or long trac's.

It isn't gonna be a safe queen it's gonna be hunted, everywhere from Tenn. to Wyo. Antelope ,deer . My question is ,and maybe it's been asked before and I just can't find the thread ,so forgive me if I missed it. What is the difference through the years ? Like with the A-Bolts ,we had the first one's ,then the AB II's ,now the AB III's . (which again, not liking the III's or the X-Bolts, just me ).

I've settled on a .270 , I've had ton's of success over the last 40 some years with that caliber. It will be topped with a Leopold, just like my A-Bolts . Why mess with a good thing right ?

But what are the difference's through the years ,when were the change's made ? Belgium ,Portugal ,Japan , BAR II, not worried about the cosmetic change's, I'm a hunter not a collector . What ones were the most reliable ,accurate . I have noticed some threads where guy's just can't get them to group or jamming. Even Browning's history page's don't go into mechanic's of the different years.

OK so why if I have turn bolt rifles now ,that work flawlessly, why am I looking for a BAR ? Old age and major shoulder problems. Won't go into that long story ,but doc's and nurse's have told me and the wife (who's an avid A-Bolt user) no more hard shock to the shoulder, and I cannot shoot lefty.

So thanks for any input .
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Here's a link to the Discontinued BAR's:

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/bar/discontinued.html

Then Current Production:

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/bar/current-production.html

Then Limited Availability:

http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/bar/limited-availability.html

Best I could do as far as your above question... "What is the difference through the years..." and " But what are the difference's through the years ,when were the change's made ? "

As far as " What ones were the most reliable ,accurate. "... I'm NOT an end user.

Never owned a BAR
    ...but, if I did...it would be a M1918. :cool: ...chambered for the.30-06 Springfield rifle cartridge and designed by John Browning in 1917 for the U.S. Expeditionary Corps in Europe.
  3. Jerrdogg

Jerrdogg Copper BB

So where are they produced now ,still by FN ?
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

5. MZ5

MZ5 .270 WIN

Best way I can think of to see some of the non-cosmetic (and cosmetic?) changes over the years is to download the owner's manuals from Browning, and look at the expanded parts schematics. Unless they've changed recently, they have a couple or three different manuals for different timeframes for the older models, and at least one for the ShorTrac/LongTrac. Brownell's may also have some expanded parts schematics at their site.
    Jerrdogg likes this.