Damaged A5

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by hbrogers, Jan 17, 2016.

1. hbrogers

hbrogers Copper BB

I acquired a old A5 (Late 1940's I believe. I'll post pictures and serial number later) that is in rough shape. I don't know a whole lot about the inner workings of guns, and especially this one, but I'll try to describe it as best as possible. The action/bolt slides back and forth freely and can't be locked in place. Several of the heads of the screws on the receiver are damaged and the stock in broken. There is also some rust and pitting on the gun. When I post pictures later on, I'm hoping someone can tell me if the gun is salvageable or if I should trash it. If it is salvageable, what route should I take with it? If it can be repaired and is a unique gun, I want to keep it as original as possible. If it doesn't have any value, would it be worth cerakoting, replacing all the internals, adding a new stock and forend (wood or synthetic?), and a magazine extension? Any advice on costs of these different options would be greatly appreciated.
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum HB !!

Please introduce yourself to our community via the New Member Welcome Area...

Enjoy the forum.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Pictures always help...otherwise, its just guessing.
  4. hbrogers

hbrogers Copper BB

Serial # 69XXX, so if I'm correct that means it was made in 1924.
  5. hbrogers

hbrogers Copper BB

6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

You've got a pre-1928 Remington Model 11, or if it's pre-1911, Remington Autoloading Shotgun. It's probably worth about $100 as a parts gun, but it would make a fun project gun -- but don't expect it to be worth as much as you'll have to put into it.

I'll look up the actual year when I get home tomorrow.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  7. hbrogers

hbrogers Copper BB

Ok, thanks for the info. I know this is hard to answer, but how much do you think I'd have to put in it to get it shooting again if I were looking at worst case scenario?

Since this is just a fun project now, I'm thinking about doing something like this to it.
    [​IMG]

Or either go with a gunmetal grey cerakote finish with a dark brown stained wood stock and forend.
  8. hbrogers

hbrogers Copper BB

Since I was told this was a Remington, I guess I will head on over to the other forum. Nice talking with you Rudolph.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

See you over there HB...!!
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

If it's not too late, your gun is a 1909 Remington Autoloading Shotgun. I paid $250 for a 1908 in decent condition. It could easily cost more than that to restore yours.
    [​IMG]
  11. hbrogers

hbrogers Copper BB

Oh wow, no point in me posting on the other boards then. I definitely don't think it's worth restoring; I wonder what I'm going to do with it now. Thanks for the info because it would have sucked to sink money into it for nothing.
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It wouldn't be for nothing. If you like the work it could be a fun project, and much cheaper than if you spent all of that time at the range. In the end you'd have a custom gun that you built yourself. You wouldn't get your money back if you decided to sell it, but why would you want to?

If I was to start a project like that I'd buy another gun and use one for parts.
  13. hbrogers

hbrogers Copper BB

Thanks for the quick responses. I really like the the gun, so I might buy one in better condition later on and turn that into a custom project. I just gave my current gun to my brother-in-law; hopefully he'll do something cool with it.