Cracked A5 forearms

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Pamlico, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Pamlico

Pamlico .22LR

I looked at an old A5 this week to buy and it had a cracked forearm on it. This got me to thinking about the Browning A5 's and Remington Model 11's I have looked at in the past and have noticed that more of the A5's are cracked than the Model 11's. It is just the ones I have seen or is this world wide. The A5 I looked at was from the 1950's and did Browning ever solve the cracking issue? No I did not buy this A5 . It was a 12 gauge lightweight model and the wood was in rough condition and they were asking $ 650.00 .
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

There have been reports of cracked A5 stocks here before...not sure if it is "world wide".
  3. Goose

Goose .410

Hi Pamlico ...... This forearm had a terrible crack when it came to me.Took a couple of days but with Gorilla glue,Dem-bart checkering tools
    and wood stain this gun is still shooting
    [​IMG]
    IMAGE 1: broken

[​IMG]
    IMAGE 2: finished checkering and stain
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Images not showing Goose....
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I don't know about the Model 11, but many Auto-5's have that crack. Two reasons are poor fitting wood and under or over tightening the magazine cap.

Also, $650 should buy you a very nice Auto-5. If you don't mind a Poly Choke, you can get a steal on a like new shotgun.
  6. Goose

Goose .410

try these
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  7. Pamlico

Pamlico .22LR

Goose
    Looks nice !
  8. Goose

Goose .410

Thank-you its a 63 year old walnut don't know if the wood had dried out but the crack was big .I'm interested to see how long it lasts.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  9. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Goose that looks great! I am just about to attempt a strip and refinishing on my stock and forend. Hope it turns out as well