CQB Weapon Strike/Reload Drill

Discussion in 'Tactical And Home Defense' started by Mudinyeri, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri .22LR

While I originally developed this drill for handgun fighting it could certainly be adapted for shotgun or carbine fighting as well. Retention will be more of an issue with a long gun but practice can mitigate some of that risk.

This is a two-part drill. I recommend at least three repetitions of all steps on the first drill (nine total reps), and a few reloading repetitions, before moving on to the second drill.

This drill can be coupled with any striking technique such as a barrel eye gouge or trigger guard to the bridge of the nose strike (pistol). Disabling, eyes and airways are always good techniques in CQB. When combined with the opportunity to gain time and reload ... they could be life-savers!

Barrel to Throat Strike (Pistol)

-Load empty magazine into pistol
    -Lock slide to the rear
    -Assume Low Ready position
    -Ensure trigger finger is out of the trigger guard and indexed along the frame of the weapon
    -Rotate grip of weapon upward to the strong side and bring the barrel on line with the assailant’s throat
    -Move support hand behind shooting hand
    -Step forward with your strong-side foot and smash the barrel of the weapon into your assailant’s larynx
    -Step back holding weapon ready for another strike if necessary
    -If assailant is disabled, perform 360° Scan
    -Three drills at less than one yard

Fire to Barrel-to-Throat Strike to Reload and Fire (Pistol)

-Load two magazines with two rounds each
    -Insert one magazine in your weapon and the other in your spare magazine pouch
    -Step to the firing line
    -Draw and charge weapon
    -Recover to holster
    -Draw to Low Ready position
    -Fire two rounds COM in rapid succession from Low Ready, slide locks back
    -Ensure trigger finger is out of the trigger guard and indexed along the frame of the weapon
    -Rotate grip of weapon upward to the strong side and bring the barrel on line with the assailant’s throat
    -Move support hand behind shooting hand
    -Step forward with your strong-side foot and smash the barrel of the weapon into your assailant’s larynx
    -Step back, perform reload sequence and return to Low Ready
    -Fire two rounds COM in rapid succession from Low Ready
    -Perform 360° Scan

Just to be clear, when I say Low Ready I'm talking about this position:

[​IMG]

Adapting this to shotgun fighting would obviously involve a few changes, but the principles would remain the same. The shotgun (long gun) Low Ready position is, of course, different from the pistol low-ready position. You cannot fire a shotgun from the long gun Low Ready position.

Long Gun Low Ready Position

[​IMG]

Barrel to Throat Strike (Shotgun)

-Lock bolt to the rear and ensure that the chamber is empty
    -Assume Low Ready position
    -Ensure trigger finger is out of the trigger guard and indexed along the receiver of the weapon
    -Rotate barrel of weapon upward on line with the assailant’s throat
    -Step back and return the weapon to Low Ready to aid in retention
    -If assailant is disabled, perform 360° Scan

Fire to Barrel-to-Throat Strike to Reload and Fire (Pistol)

-Load two rounds
    -Make two additional rounds available for reload
    -Step to the firing line
    -Charge weapon
    -Recover to Low Ready
    -Swing the barrel from Low Ready to firing position
    -Fire two rounds COM in rapid succession; bolt locks back
    -Ensure trigger finger is out of the trigger guard and indexed along the receiver of the weapon
    -Step back, perform reload sequence and return to Low Ready
    -Swing the barrel from Low Ready to firing position
    -Fire two rounds COM in rapid succession; bolt locks back
    -Step back and return the weapon to Low Ready to aid in retention
    -Perform 360° Scan
  2. Rossignol

Rossignol .410

You ever put any vids together of this stuff? It would be really cool to see in action! :D
  3. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri .22LR

Nope. Haven't gotten around to that. I can see videos as a good training tool, however - both for those who watch them and for the individual performing in the videos.
  4. Rossignol

Rossignol .410

I agree, much like sports players will review games to get a hindsight perspective on their performance.

You could even create a channel on youtube?
  5. DHonovich

DHonovich Founder Staff Member Administrator

I was thinking of starting a MossbergOwners channel to include all pertinent Mossberg videos on. I think some videos would be great for others to see.