Citori - Rust?

Discussion in 'Browning Citori Shotgun' started by TBB, Oct 12, 2015.

1. TBB

TBB Copper BB

Attached are photos of the Citori White Lightning where there seems to be ‘rust’ on the barrel anytime I clean the gun. I say rust because the color looks rust colored on the rags when I clean the gun. The gun is less than a year old and has not been in the rain or damp air. I’ve used Hoopes #9 and CLP to clean the gun. Any ideas?

Thanks - Tim
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Tim !!

When you find the time, please introduce yourself to our community in the New Member Welcome Area...

How do you store the Citori....?

Gun Case / Sock....Safe....!?

Post a picture of the rust spot with your reply....
  3. TBB

TBB Copper BB

Shooter13 - below is a picture of the 'rust' on the rags each time I clean the gun. I store the gun in the original box, the Styrofoam packaging and a thin sheet of Styrofoam and cardboard when the box is closed.

upload_2015-10-12_19-25-9.png
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Bad idea my friend....those packing items are about as bad as it gets for retaining moisture against the gun.

Don't know why the manufacturers use them....actually I do....it's cheap and stackable...but not good for long term storage.

Any case with egg crate foam is also just asking for trouble...they wick moisture from the air and hold it to the firearm.

Suggest you find a silicon impregnated sock to store the firearm in until you find a quality case or alternative means of storage. ( see below )

I use Zero Corrosion storage bags that are coated inside with a vapor barrier to inhibit rust. Works great for my firearm collection....

https://www.zcorrproducts.com/

What you can expect from ZCORR:
    • Unmatched Corrosion Protection
    • No Messy Oils or Greases
    • Leaves No Residues Behind
    • Tear Resistant Material
    • Non-abrsive interior
    • Doesn’t Harm Optics
    • Perfect for short & long term storage
    • Pistol storage bags
    • Rifle storage bags
    • Shotgun storage bags
    • Mil-Spec .30 Cal & .50 Cal ammo can liners
  5. TBB

TBB Copper BB

Thanks, I will check on the zero corrosion bags. Most of my other guns are stored in soft case gun cased, i.e., Browning cimarron gun cases - do these cause problems? I have not had any issues with my other guns.

Thanks Tim
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Depends on how many times a week, month, year you pull them out and wipe them down with a oiled rag....

Any guns neglected in cases will see rust over time...

Especially if stored in high humidity / low air flow environments.
  7. TBB

TBB Copper BB

Shooter13 - Thanks for you feedback. I don't want to sound stupid about this but I don't have this issue with any of my other guns, including a mid-80's A5 stored in the original box. When I see that much rust color on a white rag and only on this gun, it really scares me.

Thanks - Tim
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Then you are a lucky man Tim...

I use Breakfree CLP ( Clean / Lubricate / Protect ) every time I use or handle my firearms.

Then I store them in one of two safes with a humidifier that is constantly on...

Long term storage includes the ZCORR bags...

ALL my firearms are rust free...everything from a Colt made in 1922 to a Mossberg made in 2015.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Did you buy that Colt brand new, Shooter?
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Which Colt are we talkin' about Rudolph....!?

I own three.........
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The one you bought in 1922!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Awwww...breakin' my stones huh !? :cool:

[​IMG]
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

SOMEBODY'S gotta do it!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thanks Buddy...........:D
  15. birdshooter

birdshooter Copper BB

Tim, I agree with shooter about storing any Browning in the box it came in nor any other soft case used to transfer the gun to the field or range. If you don't have a gun safe I would store the gun in one of those silicone impregnated gun socks. In the meantime, to protect the metal i would strip all oils off the metal parts with a solvent based cleaner such as gun scrubber or the like. Maybe even take a rag and use some rubbing alcohol. Get yourself a tin of Johnson's Paste Wax which will set you back about $7 and last a 100 years. Wax all the metal surfaces and wood if you wish (works for metal or wood) and let it stand for 15 minutes and then buff it out. This will protect the metal not only from moisture but oil from finger prints. Depending on how often the gun is handled you may need to clean and re-wax every month or two. Personally, I think the wax will protect better against moisture better than gun oil.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  16. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

That's why I use Breakfree CLP ( Clean / Lube / Protect )

For long term storage...I've seen people use paste wax.
  17. birdshooter

birdshooter Copper BB

I know of some hardened trap shooters that will shoot rain or shine and they like to use wax on all metal parts. Water just beads up just like your car would. A good barrier and protector from moisture.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  18. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Good enough for them...good enough for me !! :cool:
  19. Another thumbs up for the gun socks. I wipe my firearms down with G96 and store them in browning VCI socks. So far so good.
  20. TBB

TBB Copper BB

Thanks for the feedback guns, I will try the wax and VCI socks