cheddite primers

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ranger6, Dec 3, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

5k to my door was $278 USD
  2. Auzzie

Auzzie .270 WIN

Bet that is lot more than your used to paying too.
    Here 209 wins were $230 a yr back. now jumped to $480. That be $ 340 your coin and have to drive the 80 miles to pick up in person. No door service here.!!! Fuel here is $5.40 us a gallon to boot.
    Got to have powder to use the primers and there is just none available at present
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

Brownells has cheddite primers in stock. Limit 2 54.99ea plus fees 02-10-2022 3.31 pm
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

About a year ago I could get Winchester 209’s for $30-$35 for a thousand. Unfortunately I haven’t seen a Winchester primer in a year and the prices will never be that low again
  5. Auzzie

Auzzie .270 WIN

Wow that’s a big jump. Can only expect from hearing that the primer pain will flow down to here this way lot more yet.
    Thanks for sharing that info

We are seeing significant drop off in attendance number for any form of comps and practice at any clubs. All clubs here are community volunteer based no private run ones at all so it’s getting very tough for survival .

People want to desparately get out and shoot but can’t get ammo , any thing to reload with or just plain afford it for the increasedtargets and fees
    We are suffering death by pricing and having no local manufacturing any more Our targets get imported like everything else and our club does itself to try save costs. A 40 ft container for shipping has gone $3500 to $18500. Lot of price gouging.
    Be interested for others views and observations will do a separate post
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

precision has cheddite primers. 59.99 a brick +fees. Limit 5,000
  7. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

Midway has Winchester 209's 1 brick limit in stock now. 4.19.2022 $119.00 shipped
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie .270 WIN

Is your definition of a brick 1000 block?
  9. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

10. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Are we getting anywhere close yet? I still have plenty of factory ammo and expect I’ll be using it come dove season in 130 days instead of the special heavier white wing loads I figured I’d be able to make by now. PW375 with setups for 16 and 20 still sitting unopened in the box. Maybe in the meantime I can begin collecting other things I’ll need.

Ranger I’m thinking it would be slick to have a load made with 6 shot to give a little more knockdown power on high flying WhiteWings. Do you have a load for Remington or Federal hulls that I’d be able to find wads and primers for or do I need to keep waiting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

I may have to come get that PW. Win7stw sent me one to try in 12 and I like it a lot. Thinking I need one in 410. I have used 6's and they work. I have also used steel shot for doves. It works for the high flyers. I will have to look through my data and see what I have. Are we talking 12? I was using steel shot in 20. I have also been known to take a load with 8's and swap in 6's. That may be a little more then you are ready to do. Not sure I would recommend it, until you get some reloading time under your belt. When you start changing things you really need to have a good understanding. If you do this to start, stick with the same pay loads 1 oz for 1 oz and ride the middle of the pressure and you will be fine. the larger shot will take up more room, so you may run into crimp issue's. With things being still kind of hard to get or really expensive, it may be best to just buy factory loads, unless you plan on shooting a lot of doves. The last couple years have been hit and miss for me. Last year I didn't even do a lease. My kid keeps me busy and its usually a waste.
    I sent a load off to be tested for win7stw a while back with 5's for 16 GA with green dot. It was a good load, patterned great, I think he used for pheasants. He would be able to give you a good review. That load you could just swap in 6's and be good to go.

After I posted I guess I thought about what was posted. Playing the devil's side of things, make sure you don't swap in steel for lead. It will get you in trouble pretty fast. In my opinion lead is still more lethal than steel in most cases.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    Auzzie and win7stw like this.
  12. rcatastrophe

rcatastrophe .270 WIN

Yeah I’ll be shooting lead. I was just wondering when things will be more available and I can get what I want when I want it. We’re talking 16 and 20. 16 preferentially but I like shooting 20 too. I picked up a couple used 20g Citori shotguns and a some 16g’s too so I’m dying to be able to make ammo for them. I guess I’m just gonna have to keep using factory ammo for now. That load you had tested with 5’s sounds promising. I can use 6’s in it but if things don’t get better it looks like it’s gonna be for the 2023 season :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. Ranger6

Ranger6 .30-06

Some powder showing up in places, so I’ve heard. Nothing here in Houston really so far. I really don’t think it will be back until late 2023 or early part of 2024. I’m seeing the federal 100 packs regularly and for me don’t make sense to reload for 12/20. The 16 has always been a problem. If you find 16 components buy them and tuck them away. Wads seem to be pretty plentiful. I just got some z16 from BP, been wanting to try them so I will have to try them soon.