Carrier spring changes

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Wingman, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Hi guys

Quick question when did Browning change to trigger plate mounting for the carrier spring?

I was looking at a 1952 Auto5 the other day and the owner said he thought it had the old receiver mounted type which I thought was odd. It doesn't have speedload either however I don't see that as a problem for my use.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

A lot of changes were made in 1958, and I believe the Carrier Spring was one of them. The new style can be made to work on the old guns.

Speed Load debuted in late 1953 on Browning imports. Probably later in Europe.

You're going to need a bigger safe, Wingman!
    Wingman likes this.
  3. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Thanks R31!

You right about the safe, the more I look the more Auto-5's I find this side of the pond! I haven't actually bought this one though, wood is in a bit of a sorry state and the barrel doesn't look like its been cleaned for for decades. I am not sure I have time for another project at the moment..
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

If I were you I'd get that Grade III if it's still there. What's the point of a safe full of field guns? OK, I've got a safe full of field guns, but they're spread out from 1903 to 1965. They kind of tell a story.
  5. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Hi Rudolph what do you define as a "field gun"?

I have seen a good few recently, the one I posted the picture of a week or 2 ago was plain but in excellent condition, wouldn't need any work and had the 2 piece lifter. Although that doesnt really appeal to me as I kind of like the earlier A5's to the original design. The higher grade model was indeed a pretty gun with nice engraving. Apart from the receiver and barrel which were in good condition the wood was in bad shape, lots of dents and dings. It was weird really that the exterior seemed clean (screws werent mashed up either) but the wood was nasty. It will need work to get back to how it should be. But it was way cheaper, he wants £90.00 for it just to get it shifted from his shelves the other one was £300.00. For that type of money I could buy a reasonable Remington 1100 (should I be saying that on this forum????) a gun I also like!

Decisions!!
  6. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

A field gun is the basic, no frills shotgun. Fancy wood and engraving were extra -- in 1923 the basic gun was $64.75 but a Grade IV was $303.25.

Incidentally, I guess I'm using the wrong terminology for the World Market gun you're looking at. Browning used Grades I - IV, FN had 6 "Types".