Carrier latch question

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Wingman, May 14, 2016.

1. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Hi guys

Started to take down my 1930 A5 and I am a little confused by the carrier latch. In the field service manual it says to measure the gap at the hump using a 6inch rule specifically at the 4 inches point. My carrier latch is only about 3 inches long so I am perplexed as to how I should do this. Not sure if it's broken but picture is attached and I would appreciate some advice. Thanks! 20160514_125509-480x853.jpg
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I'm home now so I measured the carrier latches on 2 of my own guns, one from 1930 and another from 1984. Both latches measured approximately 2 5/8". That was confusing so I took another look at the FSM. If you'll note in the picture, the latch starts about 3 1/4" down the rule, and the 4" point is just used as a reference. Whatever is wrong with your carrier latch, it isn't the length. The ruler is just being used as a straight edge.

As far as I can tell, this part hasn't changed throughout production. Here's a view of a new one:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/PROD/B11110CLA

You might want to give Art's Gun Shop a call; they're a friendly group and can give you valuable advice.
    SHOOTER13 and Wingman like this.
  3. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

Thanks Rudolph31 that's really helpful and I apologise for being a bit of a newbie but this is my first A5. That's good to know I have polished it up a little and retensioned the spring slightly so hoping that when it all goes back it will work. I measured the gap as the FSM said and mine is pretty much bang of 1/16th of an inch. I'll continue stripping and cleaning the old girl and once done I want to refinish the stock with a nice oil finish. Loving this gun!
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thanks Rudolph !!
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Happy to help. Hearing about other people's Auto-5 problems and trying to diagnose them helps me to learn also.

By the way, I have my own Carrier Latch issues. Two of my guns, a 1948 "Stealth" Sixteen and a 1908 Remington Autoloading Gun both spit shells on the ground. I know it's the front of the latch not doing its job, but I'm reluctant to get in there and risk destroying the part when I rarely shoot these two. One of these days I'll take them over to Art's, who fortunately is only an hour away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  6. Wingman

Wingman .270 WIN

If I was in the US I would send mine to Arts. It's a bit of a long way from the UK :)
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

True enough. And I could just replace the parts -- which might be cheaper. But you are pretty much stuck adjusting the parts you have. I have found (the hard way) that it's usually better to do things myself than to trust someone I don't know who calls himself a "gunsmith". But you can still get Art on the phone. Tell him you're calling from England -- he'll be impressed at his fame.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.