Browning Maxus Shotgun Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Browning Maxus Shotgun' started by Billythekid, Mar 20, 2011.

1. NVG

NVG Copper BB

2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hey Rick, sorry to hear that your still having an issue. What ammo are you using when it happens? when the second shell gets hung up, how many rounds are in the tube? just curious if having more rounds in the tube will help kick the second shell up harder. keep us updated on the feedback you get from browning.

BTK
  3. Billythekid

Good to hear browning is working with you and thanks for keeping us updated.

BTK
  4. Billythekid

hey, welcome to the Browning Owners Community!!! Let us know if you have any questions about the browning Maxus.
  5. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

How do you like the Frog Lube on the Maxus Sporting? I've converted all my handguns over to the stuff and really like it. But for some reason I'm not sure about it for the long guns. Maybe it's because my rifles don't get fired often, and I feel like the FL may gum up in cold weather.

Also, what do you use to clean the bore when using FL? I've heard that oil-based products don't mix well with FL, so I've avoided using them. ON the handguns, I just put some liquid FL on a brass brush and run that through, then some patches with the same. Seems to clean them, but not sure how well that would clean a shotgun barrel after a few hundred rounds.

I may stick to a Break Free, GunSlick, or other spray CLP for overall cleaning but I can't see doing that and using Frog Lube each time, especially going through the heat treatment process each time.

Please share your Sporting cleaning details!
  6. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Isn't the Sporting 3"? Or do you have two Maxus shotguns? :)
  7. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Does this happen in warmer weather?

Did you ever get the issue resolved?

Also, which specific Maxus model do you have?

Thank you!
  8. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Wow, what a nightmare! I read the whole thread. Did it ever get resolved or does it still misfeed?

My guess is you're enjoying the 725 so much you never looked back.
  9. Billythekid

Hey Dallas, yea you are correct the sporting is a 3", never shot 3" shells out of it though. Do you own a Maxus?
  10. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

11. Billythekid

Congrats!! I put 2-3k through mine all at the skeet/trap range and never had a failed ejection using all different types of ammo. I just always made sure she had plenty of frog lube on the moving parts and has always performed. I ran into a few issues for a little while thinking something was wrong with the trigger but I was just trying to shoot faster than it was meant to and decided it was time to upgrade to an over/under.
  12. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

So it's a slow, or too long of - a trigger reset?
  13. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Copper BB

I bought a Maxus 3 1/2 Special Purpose, the one with a drilled and tapped receiver and camo 3 years ago. Right off, mine would not fire the second round and sometimes not the first. I did all the internet research and even talked to Browning. Browning's pat answer was trigger reset. That I was the problem and I needed to be sure not to trap that trigger.
    I've been at this game a long time now as I'm 61. I've shot auto's, both rifle and shotguns and pistols all my life. Thousands of rounds through a Model 1100 skeet grade shooting those little clay birds. I've shot thousands of rounds through a Citori. And I shoot auto pistols now. And I have never, ever, trapped a trigger. Plus it sometimes failed to fire the first shot thereby nullifying trapping the trigger.
    After looking at the trigger group through magnifiers several times I determined that as previously noted Rem Oil was not doing the job and seemed to evaporate, so I cleaned the trigger with Rem. Action cleaner and blew it out good with compressed air then used some oil sold by Jim Chambers for flintlocks.
    Since I had reversed the safety for a LH shooter the safety was now a prime suspect. So instead of just casually pushing off the safety I started making a effort to train myself to really snap the trigger off safety each time I shot the shotgun.
    The problem has never occurred again. Period.
    FWIW I believe the tolerance on the trigger grooves are too tight. In other words if the safety is simply pushed off the trigger is still blocked. It takes a firm snap to insure the safety goes far enough to allow the trigger to be pulled. I noticed that when shooting at ducks and the gun wouldn't fire I would frantically snap the safety on and off and it fired every time.
    Just my 2 cents and something to try if nothing else works.
  14. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Excellent advice. That could be the key to a lot of folks having trigger related problems.
  15. kdubinwa

kdubinwa .22LR

I second that. Brand new Maxus on first hunt and I had an expensive single or two shot gun. I concentrated on slapping the trigger with an instant release and the trigger would still not depress after ejecting and chambering the next round. I then tried cycling the safety back on and off and then the gun would go bang on the next press. So it looks like the failure to fire on subsequent rounds is related to the safety creeping into some interference after the gun first fires?

Darkhorse....Did you find that snapping the safety off really firm the first time allowed you to shoot a three shell volley without problems?

Anyways, Browning paid to ship my brand new gun back to the factory for a new trigger and some range testing. Not sure what to expect when I get it back....
  16. Billythekid

Thanks for the feedback darkhorse and Kdubinwa. This weekend I will try to see if really snapping the safety into place does the trick. My issue really didn't start to occur until 1000 rounds or so in and doesn't happen every time. Never noticed how hard I have pressed the safety but makes sense.
  17. kdubinwa

kdubinwa .22LR

Please let me know what you learn. I also would like to know if a firm snap on the safety is a trick to prevent subsequent trigger trap.

I should point out that I did not have any issue on the range with a box of shells in moderate temps before I went on my first cold-weather waterfowl hunt. Seems like some guns find this problem sooner vs later.
  18. Billythekid

going to do some hunting with it this weekend so i will be sure to report back how it goes. pretty cold in NY right now so should be a good test.
  19. Hi guys, I'm new here. I feel doubly cursed. A year ago, I bought a 12 gauge Benelli Legacy Sport and a 20 gauge Montefeltro (for my wife) both which have developed the infamous Benelli "click". 6 months ago I bought a Maxus Sporting Clays which didn't have the trigger reset problem until 2 weeks ago. 3 weeks ago I found a Maxus Sporting Clays with the maple stock and just had to buy it. That has the reset problem right out of the box. I love the Maxus and hope I can get it resolved. I also had the feeding problem but that was fixed with a good cleaning, but I will be getting the sealed piston soon. I live near Rich Cole of Cole Gunsmithing and hope he can change the spring out and tweak the trigger a bit. I'm not thrilled with the idea of sending both back to Browning. Can you send them just the trigger group for the spring replacement? Thanks. Great forum
  20. Darkhorse

Darkhorse Copper BB

Kdubinwa, Yes. After cleaning and lubing the trigger group as described in my post, and snapping the safety off really crisp and hard, I have had no further problems and can fire a 3 shot string all day long.
    For those trapping the trigger, snapping the safety off will not fix that problem. You just have to train yourself to move the trigger finger a tad forward each time the gun recoils.