Browning Maxus Shotgun Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Browning Maxus Shotgun' started by Billythekid, Mar 20, 2011.

1. gifters

gifters .22LR

Well, I shot about 2 boxes of shells, 1 1/2 box of steel dove loads and then some steel duck loads

Had 0 trigger issues but then again its about 50 degrees warmer than the hunting weather where I had most of my problems
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

keep me posted on the progess of your fix, interested to see how it holds up with more rounds through it.
  3. gifters

gifters .22LR

Dove and Urban Goose season coming up, haven't had much time for clays this summer as I'm working a new schedule and getting together with buds to shoot has been difficult.
  4. Billythekid

yea same here, havent gone to the range this summer as much as i would like. time to start gearing up for hunting season.
  5. Billythekid

hey mike,

with the barrel on it should not move at all regardless if the forearm is on or not. what seem to be off? does it not seem to match up to the chamber or does it seem to be something with the shell tube? let me know and i can take a look at mine to see if your missing something.

BTK
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Mike !!
  7. Billythekid

thanks for the info rick, keep us updated. did they give a reason why the 3 1/2 maxus version has trouble with light loads?

BTK
  8. Maxusdan

Maxusdan Copper BB

I have a 3" Maxus that I use mostly for sporting clays that has had numerous cycling problems. I only shoot 1oz AA super sporting loads. I am a clean freak and its not a carbon or cleaning issue. Tried other cheaper and 1 1/8 oz loads but had way to many jamming issues. After the first 3000 rounds the piston spring broke and was finally diagnosed by Browning customer service and missed by two reputable gunsmiths. Browning was aware of the problem and said they had bought some bad steel that the springs were made of and was common to guns with 3-4k rounds through it. Sent free replacement and everything was fine until shells would'nt feed from magazine tube. Got that fixed. Now its an entirely new problem. First shot fires and ejects no problem but second shell lays atop carrier and will not feed up into chamber. Pulled entire trigger assembly apart and cleaned.... get box and a half through it works like a charm then it starts again. Tried this routine 3 times now with same results. QUESTION: Does anyone know if the tortion on the carrier spring "can" or "has" failed? Mine seems to have lots of spring to it but for whatever reason is not vaulting the second shell into the chamber. Would gladley send the gun down the road if it was'nt for the fact that I shoot "lights out" with it when it is working. Tried and have been fitted w/ all the other semi-autos out there but scores don't compare. Love my Maxus but need a gun that goes "boom" every time I pull the trigger. Any suggestions?
  9. Billythekid

hey Dan, Welcome to the Browning Owners Community!! I have a maxus but its not the 3" model. havent experienced any issues with carrier spring. does the spring look worn or stretched at all?

BTK
  10. Maxusdan

Maxusdan Copper BB

Nope... looks like new and seems to have lots of tortion or "spring" to it. Cleaned and put drop of oil on both sides of the carrier pin and shot 48 flawless 1 1/8 oz loads today in 7 degree Minnesota temps, but dropped last true pair with same malfunction (second shell lays atop carrier). Trigger and firing pin do function as the action ejects first round and re-sets but get the dreaded "click". Just cant get that second shell to flip up into chamber. Took it back into clubhouse whiped it down again went out and shot fifty rounds at 5 Stand without issue. Totally perplexed!
  11. Maxusdan

Maxusdan Copper BB

While we're at it I thought to inquire as today I also ran into buddy that showed up with a brand new 3 1/2 inch stalker that I convinced him to buy not knowing he also shoots clays and trap (Thought he was just a waterfowler)...Ooops! Needless to say he was very disappointed. Would'nt cycle low brass. Is there anything he can do? Said he really does not need to shoot 3 1/2 inchers but liked the camo pattern and sale price on the gun. Could it be tweeked not sure what if anything can be done. Thanks again. Dan
  12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Rick !!
  13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Dan !!
  14. Billythekid

hey dan, when you clean your maxus do you also clean the two holes in the barrel where the gas releases into to push the piston back? alot of times people over look this part in cleaning and after awhile you get enough carbon buildup where it effects the piston from getting pushed back hard enough. as far as tweaking the 3 1/2 stalker, not sure if it can be done i will see what i can find about that.

BTK
  15. Maxusdan

Maxusdan Copper BB

I will check...have not done in a while. But have a couple pipe cleaners that'll do the trick. Thanks for helping out.
  16. Billythekid

No problem dan, I noticed the shells were thrown much farther on my maxus when I finaly cleaned it. Hope it helps.
  17. Maxusdan

Maxusdan Copper BB

You da man! Thanks
  18. NVG

NVG Copper BB

Hey Dan and BTK,

I picked up a Maxus Sporting Golden Clays earlier this week as my first gun. At the end of today I have had 300 rounds through it without issue untill the last station of sporting clays today.

I am having the exact same issue that repeated itself several times right at the end of the day. Same issue as Dan, the first shell ejects but the second is sitting ontop of the carrier.

I have only had 300 rounds through the gun, and have cleaned it after each day of use (100 per day). Has anyone figured out why it wont throw it up?

Thanks,
    Sheldon
  19. Billythekid

Hey Sheldon, THe Golden Clays ia a beautiful gun. When you first got the Maxus, did you clean all of the factory grease before you started shooting it? i remember when i first got mine, the internal were covered in it, if if I didnt clean it all out at first i would have definitely prohibited the cycling of the gun. Do you notice how far the shell is thrown? does it seem to kick it out pretty good or do you notice a diference when the issue occurs that the shell barely gets kicked out?
  20. NVG

NVG Copper BB

Thanks Billy. Yes I did an initial cleaning, but there wasnt really any grease anywhere, just their factory lube. And the shells get thrown pretty good. It just wouldnt bring it up for some reason. The last pair cycled perfectly, but the few before that didnt, and the first shell ejected as usual.