Browning Light Twelve in 20 gauge?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by JeremyG, Jan 18, 2016.

1. JeremyG

JeremyG Copper BB

I'm new to the forum and Browning guns in general, so please excuse me if this is common knowledge or has already been discussed in another thread.

I inherited my father's Browning shotgun when he pasted away last month. When I unpacked the gun from its case, I noticed something odd. My dad always referred to the gun as a 20 gauge, but the model name on the receiver of the gun is Light Twelve. I double-checked the ammo that my dad had for the gun (it was his only shotgun), and every box said 20 gauge.

I was under the impression that all Browning Light Twelves are 12 gauges, and the 20 gauge version of the gun is called the Light Twenty. Is that incorrect?

The gun is a Belgium-manufactured Browning. According to my mom, dad already had the gun when they started dating, so that would make the gun at least 45 years old.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Sorry for the loss of your dad.

The Light Twelve is a 12 gauge. There was also a Light Twenty, but it just said "Twenty" until 1973 when they finally added the other word.

To be certain, the gauge is marked on the left side of the barrel as in this photo. You can see 12-70 in the oval at the rear.
    [​IMG]

Keep 20 gauge ammo away from 12 gauge guns!
  3. Rob poston

Rob poston .270 WIN

Sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my dad in 2000... still miss him.
    Rudolph is dead on. Light Twelves are 12g's, and therefore will only shoot 12 gauge shells. If you intend on shooting the shotgun, but never plan to own a 20g, I would recommend giving away or selling the 20 gauge shells. A 20g shell that gets mixed in the bunch can make for a very dangerous situation... espeically in a semiautomatic.
    Here's the scenario. You load a 20g shell (along with some 12g shells), chamber it, and it lodges in the forcing cone/barrel. You pull the trigger and find that the shotgun does not fire. Then you chamber the next round (a 12g shell) not even thinking about the shell that did not eject. You pull the trigger and ignite a pipe bomb in your hands. Not good.
    Be safe, and have fun!