Browning Brushed Away my BLR Problem

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by Eddie A, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Eddie A

Eddie A Copper BB

I purchased my 358 BLR, Brand New, in 1995. The first time I took it to the range it misfired 3 out of 10. I called Browning and they directed me to an authorized gunsmith about 40 miles away. The gunsmith inspected the rifle and told me the problem was with the ammo and not the rifle. Winchester 200 grain silvertips. I had purchased 5 boxes and there was no other ammo available in my area (Los Angeles) at that time.

I used the rest of the ammo within the next few years with a bunch of misfires.

Last year I saw Hornady 200 grain SP on the intent and I purchased a couple of boxes. When I went to the range, it misfired 2 out of 6. I called Browning again and they directed me to another authorized gunsmith about 70 miles away. This time the gunsmith took the rifle and 3 weeks later called me and said the action was extremely dirty and they completely cleaned it up and now it shoots fine.

To make a long story, longer, when I took it to the range the exact same thing happened again. This time I shot about 25 rounds. Every time it misfired there was no sign of firing pin strike on the primer. Loaded the same round again and it shot with a clear sign of firing pin strike, right in the center of the primer.

I finally decided to send it to Browning Service Department and I did so with a note explaining the entire history and I even wrote that regardless of the cost to please repair it. 3 weeks later I received the rifle back in a brand new box with a note saying they don't service this old of a BLR!!!!

Very, very disappointing. I suppose I need to get lucky and find a really knowledgeable gunsmith, or retire the rifle in the old closet.

There must be a factory defect with these BLRs. I have seen way too many owners of BLRs complaining about the same problem. It shouldn’t misfire, not even 1 out of 100.

Any suggestions?
  2. Eddie A

Eddie A Copper BB

Thank you. I will do that.
  3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Eddie !!

Sorry to hear about the problems with the BLR...but why did you wait from 1995 till 2013 to try to address the problem...?
  4. Eddie A

Eddie A Copper BB

Thank you.
    Because I trusted the original gunsmith who told me that it was the ammo and not the rifle.
    Only last year and after I used different type of ammo, I found out that this was not the case. And then ..............
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

My 2 cents: I would find a reliable gunsmith to fix the damn thing...

Let us know how you make out...