Browning BPS Shotgun Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Browning BPS Shotgun' started by Billythekid, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Here is the place to talk about any and all Troubleshooting for your Browning BPS Shotgun.
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Below is a decent video on how to get the forearm off. To take the buttstock off just put a screwdriver in the two holes on the rubber pad and take out the two screws. This will then allow you to get to the bolt that holds the stock to the receiver

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFdUWblzTyk&sns=em[/youtube]
  3. Dennis Prewitt

Dennis Prewitt Copper BB

Look for 2 small slits in the recoil pad. Get a Phillips screwdriver and put some vaseline on it and remove the recoil pad. Then get a long flat head screwdriver, lots of muscle and remove screw. This will let you remove the stock. To remove the forend, just remove the cap that holds the barrel on and slide the forend off.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. David TK Hayes

David TK Hayes Copper BB

Browning BPS 12 gauge I have had since the early 80's. thousands of rounds through it, with a 30" FC barrel and a 26" Invector choke barrel

Last year the gun started to jam. meaning specifically, I chamber and load a couple of rounds, Fire the first one and then the slide will not rack or retract, and it is locked with a spent shell in the chamber and a live shell still in the magazine tube. This had not happened before in 40 years of use.

fiddling with the tangs underneath (do not know what they are called) I can get it to rack. It is intermittent but common enough to be a problem.

So I shipped it off to the local 'authorized Browning repair shop, after a couple of weeks of waiting, they basically said is was probably shitty ammo. They did nothing and sent the gun back to me.

They tried several types of ammo, (as have I) and I get the same intermittent results. Jams enough to be a problem, regardless of the ammo, or the barrel I am using.

I was pretty disappointed to spend a couple hundred dollars at the Browning repair shop and not get anything done to the gun.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Given the age of the gun and the thousands and thousands of rounds I have through it, is there is 'rebuild kit' of most common parts to wear? Are parts readily available? Should I just buy a new BPS and dump that one? I have a Pigeon Grade Browning 1967 Trap gun, a Beretta Silver Pigeon but this BPS is still my favorite gun overall.

I am not a gunsmith, but mechanically inclined and very good with my hands. I have dismantled the BPS a couple times in the past 2 years for a complete cleaning. I do not know what to look for insofar as wear and tear on specific components.

Any help appreciated.
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Personally, I would give Art a call and then send it to him. He will get to the bottom of it.
  6. David TK Hayes

David TK Hayes Copper BB

who is Art?
  7. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator