Browning BLR 81 old vs new

Discussion in 'Browning BLR Rifle' started by cal44, Aug 29, 2014.

1. cal44

cal44 .22LR

I just bought a BLR in 308 made in the 1980's.

It has a steel receiver.

Do all current BLR have Aluminum receivers?

What are the pluses and minuses if any between steel and Al -- other than the obvious weight issue?

Are Browning rifles like Marlins in that the older (JM in the case of Marlin) guns are considered better?

Dave
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Not sure if all "current" BLR's have aluminum receivers ...

And while the older guns may not necessarily be considered 'better' by most...I think a well preserved vintage firearm is a thing of beauty !
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
  3. SOG

SOG .22LR

I own a BLR made in the 80's and it has a steel receiver. I also own a BLR take down that has an aluminum receiver. Both function flawlessly. I don't see any difference between the two except the take down is lighter when walking all day. Comparing a BLR to a Marlin isn't a good comparison. You get a wider range of calibers with a BLR. My aluminum receiver take down is a 300 WSM. Most people would think of a lever action rifle as a long range gun, but I have shot both Moose and Elk beyond 350+ yards. I hope this was helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Hairtrigger

Hairtrigger .270 WIN

I have both a Belgium BLR in 308 and a BLR-81 in 223 (and a couple of BL-22's!)
    The BLR-81 has the magazine that fits flush with the bottom of the receiver , a plus in my mind. The magazines for theolder BLR rifles will cost you about $150 more than the newer ones
    The aluminum receiver may seem cheap but then again you can buy a AR-15 with plastic receiver