Browning B25 or other Model ?

Discussion in 'Browning Superposed Shotgun' started by B25, Apr 14, 2017.

1. B25

B25 Copper BB

Hello...i have a question...how i can identify a original B25 vs. a B105 ?...

...who i can See that mi B25 Serialnuber ......S6 1965 is a original B25 Made in Belgium ?

my serialnumber is 46762 S5

Is the "S5" the Year 1965 ? or ist my gun from 1962 ?

A Gunn Retailer say taht the Number is a Gun from 1975 ?

Pleas can you help my

Thanks from Switzerland
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

A B25 IS a Superposed

Try here my friend...

http://www.proofhouse.com/browning/index.html

On January 1, 1963 a new serial number series was begun for 12 gauge Superposed shotguns starting with number 6556S3
    • "S" designates 12 gauge.
    • "3" indicates the date (1963).
    • 6556 is the serial number.

{ Make sure you pick the correct gauge ...}
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  3. B25

B25 Copper BB

Thanks Shooter 13

I anderstand also right....also my Gun is a original B25 and not a 105 or other cheaper Modells an the Date "S5" is 1965 ?

sincerely Thanks
    Tanino
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Tanino...

Your # 46762 S5 is a B25 / Superposed

46762 is the actual serial number

( S ) is a 12 Gauge

( 5 ) is the year 1965...
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2017
  5. B25

B25 Copper BB

finaly can you pleas make a exemple from a superposed from the year 1967....how is the nummber after the "s" ?
    i rethanks from you from my heart ! thanks shooter 13!!!!!
    Tanino
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Not sure how many more they would make in between 1965 and 1967...say maybe 1000 per year

60000 S7
  7. B25

B25 Copper BB

you are a Genius ! Thanks !!!!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  8. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

No problem...enjoy that B25 and the forum.
  9. Goose

Goose .410

Hey fellas i have B25 with no 44195 S74...........................so would the higher number 46672 date it 1975 as dealer quoted?
  10. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

'Tanino', I suspect your gun has a Fabrique Nationale barrel address. Please confirm whether 'FN' or BrowninG, St Louis (or Morgan UT) address.
    "Tanino", vermute ich, dass Ihre Waffe eine Fabrique Nationale Fass-Adresse verfügt. Bitte bestätigen, ob "FN" oder BrowninG, St. Louis (oder Morgan UT) Adresse.

Serial Number 46762 is in the numerical sequence for manufacture in either 1965 or 1975.
    Seriennummer 46762 ist in der numerischen Reihenfolge für Herstellung in 1965 oder 1975.

The S5 gauge/year code could also apply to either 1965 or 1975.
    Der S5-Messgerät/Jahr-Code könnte auch auf 1965 oder 1975 zutreffen.

If your B25 is an engraved model (particularly an FN standard engraving pattern), I have seen examples where the Custom Shop omitted the '7' from the 2-number year code after its formation in 1971. I believe this was an early attempt to distinguish the guns that were to be engraved in the FN factory from those to be sent to, and engraved at the Custom Shop at 13 Rue Faurieux about 1/4 mile from FN. Some gauge/year codes were omitted entirely from the serial number under the opening lever, but appear on the barrel block......sometimes with a single year code (omitting the decade...i.e., '7').
    Wenn Ihre B25 ist eine gravierte Modell (besonders ein FN standard Gravur-Muster), habe ich Beispiele gesehen, wo der Custom Shop ausgelassen die "7" aus dem Code 2-Anzahl Jahr nach ihrer Gründung im Jahr 1971. Ich glaube, das war ein früher Versuch, die Geschütze zu unterscheiden, die in der FN-Fabrik von denen an graviert werden mussten und graviert im Custom Shop 13 Rue Faurieux ca. 1/4 Meile von FN. Einige Messgerät/Jahr-Codes wurden vollständig aus der Seriennummer unter den Öffnungshebel ausgelassen, aber erscheinen auf dem Fass Block... manchmal mit einem einzigen Jahr Code (Weglassen des Jahrzehnts... i. e, "7")

I have a 1974 Exhibition Grade that omits the gauge code 'S' in the tang serial number (thus 43xxx 74), but has an 'S4' serial number suffix on the barrel block (thus 43xxx S4).
    Ich habe eine 1974 Ausstellung Note, die des Spurweite Codes ausgelassen "in der Tang-Seriennummer (so 43xxx 74), aber hat einen"S4"Seriennummer Suffix auf dem Fass-Block (also 43xxx S4).

Likewise, I have a 1975 numbered gun that has a '76' suffix on the tang - no gauge code 'S' (thus 48xxx 76).......yet on the barrel block, the serial number suffix is 'S5'.....(thus 48xxx S5)
    Ebenso habe ich eine 1975 nummerierten Waffe, die eine "76" Suffix auf dem Kolbenhals - kein Messgerät Code hat "(so 48xxx 76)... noch auf den Lauf-Block, die Seriennummer-Suffix"S5"ist... (somit 48xxx S5)

So, there were some inconsistencies in the numbering sequences and gauge/year code formats.
    Also, gab es einige unstimmigdeiten in der nummerierung sequenzen und manometer/jahr code formate.

Fortunately, There is another way to solve the mystery.....1965 or 1975?
    Glücklicherweise gibt es eine weitere Möglichkeit, das Rätsel zu lösen... 1965 und 1975?

The full address for a 1965 FN would be: "Fabrique Nationale, d'Arms de Guerre - Herstal, Belgique"
    Die vollständige Adresse für eine 1965 FN wäre: "Fabrique Nationale, d'Arms de Guerre - Herstal, Belgique"

In 1971 the company changed its name to "Fabrique Nationale - Herstal". The new barrel address for post-1971 guns read - "Fabrique Nationale Herstal - Belgique"
    Im Jahr 1971 die Firma änderte ihren Namen in "Fabrique Nationale - Herstal". Die neue Lauf-Adresse für Post-1971 Geschütze zu lesen - "Fabrique Nationale Herstal - Belgique"

If your B25 has a 'BrowninG' barrel address:
    A 1965 gun will have "Browning Arms Company St Louis & Montreal P.Q."
    After 1970 (and thru 1976) the barrel address "Browning Arms Company Morgan Utah & Montreal P.Q."
    Wenn Ihre B25 eine "BrowninG" Fass Adresse hat:
    Wumme 1965 haben "Browning Arms Company St Louis & Montreal P.Q."
    Nach 1970 (und bis 1976) der Lauf Adresse "Browning Arms Company Morgan Utah & Montreal P.Q."

So, with that - I am curious which applies to your gun. I would also like to know what Grade your fusil de chasse is, and any other details you care to share.
    Also,-ich bin neugierig was gilt für Ihre Waffe. Ich würde auch gerne wissen, welche Note Ihrer Fusil de Chasse ist und alle sonstigen Angaben, die Sie interessieren, zu teilen.

I hope this helps.
    "Happy Hunting"
    'le petit poisson'
    (the 'little fish')

Ich hoffe, das hilft.
    "Happy Hunting"
    "die kleinen Fische"
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  11. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

'Goose'

The numerical sequence carried-over from 1974 to 1975.

Re: 44195 S74 - it is safe to assume '74' denotes the year the frame was stamped with a serial number - based on projections of how many would be needed to complete that year's production. Keep in mind FN's fiscal year (I believe) started or ended June 1.

According to my serial number database of guns on the market in the last 3-4 years......the change from 'S74' to 'S75' designations occurred between sequential serial numbers 45856 (an FN B1) and 45887 (an FN D5g).

So, it is safe to assume #46772 would have a year code of '75........IF the serial number is followed by 'S75' or just 'S5' if it's a 'U'-tang engraved FN gun.

Only the FN ledger would tell the date the gun was actually completed, though. If it is a 'BrowninG' (which I doubt), the Historian may have a record of the original invoice telling when it was sold.

If it is a 'Y'-tang gun #46772 and has no gauge/year code.......then it was made in 1956.

If it is a 'Y'-tang and 46772 is followed by 'S5', then it was made in 1965.

What is your country of origin? and would you be willing to share more details about your gun - i.e., FN or Browning, Grade, bbl length, chokes, rib type, engraver's name (if 'signed'), etc.?

Regards,
    'le petit poisson'
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Goose, john stevens and SHOOTER13 like this.
  12. de kerpel marcel

de kerpel marcel Copper BB

S5 is 1965
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  13. Goose

Goose .410

Anatidae ..Thank you very interesting reading your comments.My B25 has 27 1/2" barrels choked 1/4" and 1/4" marked Fabrique Nationale Herstal Belgique ,the engraver name R.Bee ,has up graded wood a very pretty well sorted skeet gun from 1974.
    Anatidae likes this.
  14. de kerpel marcel

de kerpel marcel Copper BB

B25 engraved by R.BEE,is a very high level gun !!
  15. Centurion

Centurion Copper BB

R. BEE is nice. A. BEE even better. Rosa is Angelo's sister.
  16. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

‘Goose’ - Thanks for the information and your comments.

Rosa’s work is very respectable in my opinion. Angelo left FN in 1975 - Rosa left in 1978 or 1979.

Can you identify (and share) what FN engraving pattern your gun is?

One of the latest FN patterns I have in the database (by R.Bee) is a 1979 (‘RN’ year code) B2c Grade that ended-up in Australia. I know she was capable of executing the Browning Diana and Midas patterns but I don’t have many records of her higher-Grade FN patterns (above a B2 Grade).

I’m trying to learn more about the engravers.

‘le petit poisson’
  17. Goose

Goose .410

Hi Anatidae

I own a B2G engraved by a skilled lady called Rosa.Thank you Gentlemen for the information.The gun resides with me in the UK and has an internal clean and service annually.It is still the best balanced over and under i have.
  18. Anatidae

Anatidae .270 WIN

Thank You for the information. They are exceptional pieces - well-designed, well-built, well balanced. I have a similar '75 B25 also with 70cm canons and Superlight wood configuration. Happy Hunting! Cheers!