Browning auto 5 hand engraved by A. Marechal

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Belgian_davey, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Belgian_davey

Belgian_davey Copper BB

Hi, my first post at this forum. As a belgian guy i of course love the work from browning and FN Herstal.
    Being a gun enthousiast and member of the Belgian Military my interest for quality FN guns got me on a constant search for new buys. And i got my hands on this beauty.
    A browning auto 5 hand engraved by A Marechal. One of the things that got my attention is that the engravement looks like the de luxe version grade 3 type 4 but when you look closers there are differences in the scenery.
    I made detailed pictures of the whole gun to share the craftsmanship of the engravement.
    50F0490B-4AD6-4F44-B57F-F89600A409A2.jpeg
    41099A8D-842D-4D79-84E1-5879397AA5A0.jpeg
    88944074-EE65-4AC8-A8FB-537C031886D7.jpeg
    B690262E-C465-4AE4-ACF9-B69853F26EE0.jpeg
    DEBF6EFC-4E02-48CD-850C-874F7F5C5786.jpeg

If you want more pictures please go to this link: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=c2xfcmhCQml3YXVGYjVEZVBHLXI4Zzh2dkdXLWtR

Someone who has an explanation why the scenery is different on this gun?

Thx in advance.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Beautiful gun! Welcome and thanks for a great first post. Our resident engraving expert, Biz, should be along shortly to comment on the scenery.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Biz must be off for Christmas.

But a look at the pictures on Google shows this to be an FN Type 4 from 1971.

Wish it were mine!
    [​IMG]
  4. Biz

Biz 20g

Welcome to the forum and congratulations for this beautiful type IV. (I am just back from holidays) The engraving on your Browning is very close to the one depicted as type IV in the Browning catalogue during the 1970’s. One might expect that the engraver will take some liberty in reproducing this type. Doing some research on the engraver, I fond that he created beautiful engraving when he worked for the Fabrique Nationale. Here is a link where you can see some of his work.
    http://www.littlegun.be/arme belge/graveurs/a marechal a.htm
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. Belgian_davey

Belgian_davey Copper BB

Rudolph31 and biz thx for the reply.
    So its a type 4 after all.. any idea on how many were produced back in the days?
  6. Biz

Biz 20g

I don’t know if the Fabrique Nationale keeps track of the production numbers and if they do are they freely available. I believe they where not a lot produce. I am curious to know if you acquired your Browning in USA or Europe.
  7. Belgian_davey

Belgian_davey Copper BB

i bought it in belgium. The previous owner passed away. His wife sold his collection to a gunstore that didn’t know much about this auto 5. Thats why i got it dirt cheap in my opinion.
    I paid 900euro for it.
    Rudolph31 likes this.