Browning auto-5 commemorative

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Biz, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Biz

Biz 20g

Hello Browning aficionado
    I am not still certain if Browning auto-5 commemorative are kitsch but I do know that most of them are not registered into a catalogue or a book. It will be interesting to have a post dedicated to the commemorative examples. Here are some that I am thinking: Duck Unlimited, Federal Duck Stamps, Wild Turkey Federation etc...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Ranger6, Rudolph31 and win7stw like this.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Biz, “Registry” is not a good word to use with Americans when talking about their firearms....

That aside, that is a beautiful Auto-5. Too nice to be considered kitsch. I suppose it was made in Japan and then sent to Belgium for the engraving. It looks to have been done by hand. My Browning Classic looks like it was acid-etched.
  3. Biz

Biz 20g

Actually, I was trying to find the proper term. My English vocabulary being limited, a will welcome any suggestions. Regarding your nice Classic Model (I am dealing one right now), I thought it was photo-etched and the scroll done by the engraver R.Dewil ??
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

How about just “Browning Auto-5 Commemoratives”?

Photo-etched is the term I was looking for, though I don’t know much about it. Don’t they use acid?

Here are a few pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notice it’s got the checkering pattern that win7stw hates.
    Biz and win7stw like this.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I don’t hate it on the Belgium guns. Put a set of that Jap wood on a Belgium gun and you will understand my dislike for it. The wood is proud where it meets the metal. The other thing I don’t like is you can tell it’s machine cut. Sorry about the rant. Beautiful gun Rudolph
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. Biz

Biz 20g

I like that I will edit the title. Can you see the engraver signature on the on the left rear?
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I can, but I still don’t think it was done by traditional engraving methods. Your gun’s engraving is much deeper and sharper.

How is photo-engraving accomplished?
  8. Biz

Biz 20g

I am not to certain how it is done but it seems that Larry Potterfield
    Hello gentlemen,
    I need some clarification here. I am not familiar with Jap wood despite having studied forestry and biology and running a wood business. Would you happen to know the scientific name? As well, what do you mean by "the wood is proud where it meets the metal"
  9. Biz

Biz 20g

Actually I am not sure myself. I read an article into a French firearms magazine, call "Cible" which mean target, where they mention that several factory engraved auto-5 where engrave by photo-engraving and by hand. I know that may collectors and purists are turned off by this engraving technique. How about you guys?
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

When I say Jap it’s short for Japanese. The wood I am referring to is the walnut stocks that were used on the newer Miroku built A5’s.

Proud means the wood is higher than the metal. When installing the Japanese stocks on a Belgium gun the wood to metal fit is very poor in my opinion. The Miroku stocks are fat compared to the slim Belgium stocks.
  11. Biz

Biz 20g

I will have to agree with you. That the wood is proud to the metal is a way to hide the poor inletting.
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I read the Wikipedia article. The surface is treated with a “photoresist” which shields certain areas, then etched with acid. I like the gun, but not nearly as much as one done entirely by hand. Your comment that part of it was hand engraved was good to hear.